This article may contain links from our affiliate partners. Please read how we make money!
Korean BBQ grill is a style of cooking and cuisine that is well-loved by fans of Asian food and has rapidly grown in popularity in the West over the past decade. It offers simple yet tasty cuisine and a communal ambiance enjoyed by all during the cooking process with table-top Korean BBQ grills that allow everyone to participate!
Hosting a Korean BBQ grill with friends and family is the ultimate social food experience, which has led to an increasing market for Korean BBQ grills that can be used at home, both indoors and outdoors.
Whether you’ve visited a Korean BBQ grill restaurant before and want to replicate the experience at home, or you just love the concept of eating with friends and sharing yummy food, then you might want to look for the best Korean BBQ grill for your home.
That’s why I’ve compiled a guide to help you choose the best Korean barbecue grill, after much research on what is available on the market.
Spoiler alert: I chose the CookKing - Korean Traditional BBQ Grill as my overall best Korean BBQ grill. Read on to learn more about the Korean BBQ cuisine and, importantly, to find out about the best Korean BBQ grills.
If You’re in a Hurry – My Tops Picks at a Glance
Korean BBQ Styles
Bulgogi translates quite literally into ‘fire meat’, which I think is pretty cool! This type of meat is probably the most popular type of Korean BBQ style, and you’ll be able to find it at pretty much every Korean BBQ restaurant.
Bulgogi is essentially made of prime cuts of beef: usually the tenderloin or sirloin. These cuts are chosen due to their incredible tenderness and easily cuttable texture, so they can be thinly sliced. Once sliced, the beef is then marinated in a traditional mixture.
This is usually a sauce made of soy sauce, sugar, garlic, sesame oil, and pepper.
The meat is usually left to soak in the mixture for around an hour, but some chefs might leave the meat overnight for an intense flavor.
Once marinated, bulgogi is usually pan-fried on a bbq grill but can also be used in a stir-fry when cooking at home.
Galbi – otherwise commonly known as ‘grilled ribs’ – is another incredibly popular style of Korean cuisine.
This dish is traditionally made with beef short ribs, and is usually served raw to diners for them to cook themselves on the Korean BBQ grill.
Most galbi is marinated in a sweet and savory sauce consisting of soy sauce, garlic, and sugar.
In some Korean BBQ restaurants, you may also find un-marinated galbi, although this is less common (and less tasty, personally).
Galbi tends to cook for a short period of time over high heat and tastes best when cooked on a charcoal grill as this gives it an intense, smoky flavor.
It can also be cooked on an electric Korean BBQ grill if charcoal isn’t available!
Chadolbegi is traditionally an un-marinated cut of meat intended to be cooked on a Korean BBQ.
I love chadolbegi as it’s made of thinly sliced beef brisket, which, when cooked correctly, has incredible flavor and a tender texture.
Chadolbegi is so thin that it cooks almost instantly when placed on a hot grill – so make sure you don’t overcook it!
Once cooked, it is often served with a dipping sauce of sesame oil, salt, and pepper. It can be cooked on both an electric grill and a charcoal grill, but I’d always recommend charcoal if you’re after intense flavor.
Samgyeopsal is, similarly to chadolbegi, a traditionally un-marinated style of Korean BBQ; however, samgyeopsal is usually made from thick, fatty slices of pork belly.
Samgyeopsal is succulent and juicy when cooked well – which is why I love it!
This style of Korean meat can be cooked on both electric and charcoal grills and is also served with a traditional dipping sauce consisting of sesame oil, salt, and pepper.
One of the most expensive types of Korean barbecue grill is deungshim, a style of dish made from sirloin steak.
This cut of meat has incredibly even fat distribution, making for a dish that melts in the mouth and is also full of flavor (it’s making us hungry too).
A good sirloin cut has lots of flavors naturally, so this dish is usually cut thinly, grilled on the BBQ grill, and served with a simple marinade of sesame oil to bring the meat to life.
Deungshim is incredibly popular in Korean culture – and honestly, I can see why. What’s not to like!
10 Best Korean BBQ Grills 2021
1) Best Overall – CookKing - Korean Traditional BBQ Grill
- Korean Style Barbecue Grill - perfect tool for cooking pork...
- Healthy Cooking - Smokeless Indoor BBQ Grill Pan - Fat...
- Multi-layer Nonstick Coating
As the best overall Korean BBQ grill for home, I chose the CookKing Traditional Korean BBQ Grill. This traditional aluminum grill pan provides an authentic cooking experience whilst having lots of handy features that make it easy to use and maintain.
This pan works best with a gas hob or portable gas stove – it won’t work with an electric or immersion hob.
This is as the pan needs to be raised from the surface to heat up.
The top ‘cauldron’ layer sits over another pan used to catch any oil and grease runoff, making for a healthy dinner and an easy clean-up. It also has a handy non-stick coating.
It’s an incredibly sturdy pan, although it is one of the heavier models available on the home market.
Despite this, it’s sold at a really good price point, making this pan incredibly affordable for most homes. This combination of fantastic features, authentic cooking experience, and excellent price make this my best overall pick.
- Cauldron-shaped lid – This both intensifies the heat of the pan and provides a fun cooking experience.
- Made of cast aluminum –This material will get up to sizzling temperatures super quickly and also holds its heat.
- Has a premium non-stick cooking surface and fat collection feature – This will reduce the time you spend washing up and ensure your pan lasts for a long time.
- Hard to store – The two-piece design can make storage more of a challenge.
- Only compatible with gas cooking stoves – if you have an electric stove, you’ll have to choose another option.
2) Best Premium Choice – Iwatani Smokeless Korean BBQ
- ● body size: 303 (width) × 278 (depth) × 149 (height) mm...
- Material 🙁 body): steel (powder coating) / (plate) aluminum...
- ● Continuous burning time: about 217 minutes (※ when the...
If you’ve got a bit more money to spend and are after a premium Korean BBQ experience, I recommend the Iwatani Smokeless Korean BBQ grill for home.
Unlike many bbq grills, this model comes with its own butane gas-powered heat source to provide the ultimate smokeless grill for any event.
This model allows you to quickly heat the attached bbq grill surface and cook up a range of goodies straight from your tabletop.
The aluminum base serves well as a grease catcher and can also hold water to reduce smoke production. And, of course, the grill pan has a handy non-stick coating.
This unit is an all-in-one cooking solution that is perfect for hosting a Korean barbecue anytime, anywhere.
Take it to the beach, a garden, or a friend’s place for a proper Korean bbq experience with family and friends!
- Butane gas source – This makes for a really powerful, quick heating grill.
- Ultimate portability – This all-in-one solution makes for a portable stove that can be taken anywhere (within reason).
- Good safety measures – This is necessary for an open bbq grill.
- Small surface – The cooking surface is smaller than a lot of other models.
- Expensive – It’ll cost you a pretty penny.
3) Best Budget Choice – TeChef Stovetop Korean BBQ Non-Stick Grill
- BEST NONSTICK - New Safe PFOA Free Teflon Select / Coated 5...
- GOOD INNOVATION - The unique swirled channel design helps...
- HEALTHY COOKING - Fat/Grease Draining System - Good for Pork...
For foodies with a smaller budget, this one is for you!
The TeChef Stovetop Korean BBQ Non-Stick Grill has plenty of impressive features at a really good price point, making it my choice for the best budget Korean barbecue.
This unit has a solid aluminum base and a Teflon non-stick coating on the cooking surface, making for a seamless cooking experience. This unit works as a versatile grill pan that can be used indoors and outdoors, with a gas cooking source.
The innovative swirl design ensures the fat drips off slowly for succulent, tasty, and healthy cooking.
The drips drain through a hole at the edge of the pan – you’ll need to place a heat-resistant bowl under the pan to collect the drips!
- Easy to clean. The non-stick coating and draining hole makes removing oil and fat super easy.
- Made from high-quality materials. With 5-layers of non-stick coating, this pan should last for a long time.
- Uses innovative design features. This means you can get fantastic cooking results, even on a budget!
- Doesn’t come with a drip pan or bowl for collecting fat drips – you’ll have to buy your own.
- Heavy – some may prefer a lighter pan.
4) Best Korean BBQ Grill Pan – Maxi-Matic Smokeless Indoor Electric BBQ Grill with Glass Lid
- DON’T LET RAIN RUIN YOUR BARBECUES ANYMORE! – Enjoy all...
- SAVE TIME & GRILL ALL YOUR FAVORITE FOODS AT ONCE! – Now...
- ENJOY ALL YOUR LOW-FAT, HEALTHY RECIPES EFFORTLESSLY! –...
The Maxi-Matic Smokeless Indoor Electric BBQ grill is a really cost-effective indoor electric grill pan with a load of fantastic features to aid the cooking process, making it my top choice for pans.
This model has a seriously impressive 14-inch cooking surface, as well as a detachable 1400-watt thermostat so you can cook at perfect temperatures.
It’s an ideal unit for indoor cooking as it’s a smokeless grill – so you won’t have to worry about turning off your smoke alarms when cooking!
This Korean electric BBQ grill pan also has, of course, the necessary non-stick coating, as well as a lid to reduce any oil splatters and a removable drip pan included.
Once any electrical components are detached, the grill surface is, in fact, dishwasher safe, making for a super easy cleaning experience.
- Adjustable heat controls – This aids the perfect cook for all ingredients.
- Large cooking surface – Cook for many people or different things all at once.
- Easy cleaning – With easy-to-clean design features, you get effortless maintenance and mess-free cooking – it’s a win-win!
- Has a pretty short electric cord – you might need an extension lead for tabletop cooking.
- The lid can be a bit unstable – caution should be exercised whilst using.
5) Best Electric Korean BBQ Grill – De'Longhi Perfecto Indoor Grill with Lid
- Distributes heat evenly for the best results due to the...
- Improves cooking to keep food juicy with the tempered glass...
- Make a meal for the whole family with the large cooking...
If you’re looking for the best Korean BBQ grill for cooking for the whole family, my choice for the best electric model is the De’Longhi Perfecto Indoor Grill with Lid.
This smokeless grill offers a fantastic all-in-one cooking solution with a detachable thermostat, glass lid, and large cooking surface area.
This BBQ grill for home utilizes loads of fantastic features, including cool-touch handles for safe use, an incredibly lightweight design, and an integrated but removable drip tray to collect fat run-off from cooking meat.
This Korean BBQ also has a non-stick coating and a grilling surface that distributes heat evenly for the best grill results.
It is dishwasher safe, can be fully disassembled for an easy clean, and includes a lid to stop oil splashing and keep grill meat succulent.
- Large cooking surface – This means that you can host an authentic Korean BBQ experience with many family and friends.
- Light-weight and portable – This makes it ideal for a BBQ party at a dining table.
- Has a thermostat and drip tray included – This makes it one of the best Korean BBQ grills on the market!
- Hard to store – due to the size of the grill.
- Needs to be used close to a plug or with an extension lead – limits you in where you can place the grill.
6) Best Charcoal Korean BBQ Grill – Weber 121020 Go-Anywhere Charcoal Grill
- Holds up to six burgers made with a Weber burger press
- Compact and lightweight for grilling on the go
- Porcelain-enameled lid and base retain heat, and won’t...
If you’re after the true, authentic charcoal grill experience, then the Weber 121020 Go-Anywhere Charcoal grill could be the best Korean BBQ for you.
This portable charcoal grill lets you host a Korean barbecue pretty much anywhere: think friends garden, camping trip, or on the beach! You can achieve a smoky, grilled pork belly whilst away from home – yum!
This all-in-one grill is compact and lightweight and can even be used on a tabletop for total flexibility. It also has a pretty impressive-sized charcoal bed that even lets you manipulate heat zones.
This means you can cook different ingredients to the same level of perfection!
Using a charcoal grill will add real flavor to your food, and this Korean barbecue grill offers easy use, portability, and quality, making it my top charcoal choice.
- Lightweight and compact – This makes it easily transportable to wherever you need to go.
- Large coal bed – This enables coal manipulation for high-quality cooking results.
- The true authentic charcoal experience – If you’re looking to recreate a restaurant experience with a BBQ grill for home, this could be the choice for you.
- Outside use only – if you’re looking for an indoor grill, you’ll have to choose another.
- Requires some time and preparation compared to gas designs – not suitable for those looking for a quick Korean BBQ experience.
7) Best Korean BBQ Gas Grill – Coleman Fold N Go + Propane Grill
- Portable folding grill with built-in handle for easy...
- Delivers 6,000 BTUs of heat across 105 sq. in. of grilling...
- Adjustable horseshoe burner for precise temperature control...
If you’re after a portable Korean BBQ grill that can be used outside but is slightly easier to use than a charcoal model, you might be interested in the Coleman Fold N Go Gas Grill.
This neat unit offers ultimate portability with its foldable design and is great for an outdoor Korean BBQ experience.
This unit comes with a detachable grill pan that aids easy cleaning and an included fat drip tray for mess-free and healthy cooking.
What’s more, once attached to a propane canister, this unit has an easy ignition switch for a quick-starting cook.
Despite being a portable design, this Korean barbeque has a really good-sized griddle surface, so you can be cooking pork belly and sirloin simultaneously! It’s a great unit for social events and packs a punch in a portable design.
- Foldable and portable – This means you can take this neat unit away on a camping trip or to a friend’s house.
- Easy to clean – The detachable grill and drip pan enable super quick washing up.
- Powerful heat – Delivers 6,000 BTUs of heat, ensuring quick and even cooking for all your food.
- Can only be used outside – unsuitable for those wanting to cook indoors.
8) Best Korean Home Grill – Mongolian BBQ Grill
My first selection for the best Korean BBQ to use in your home is the Mongolian Cast Iron BBQ Grill.
People who use cast iron cookware should know just how tasty food that is cooked in it can be. This is largely thanks to the thick cast iron layer that helps to transfer heat evenly across the entire pan surface.
It also retains heat really well in comparison to cast aluminum.
This simple yet effective indoor grill pan offers the ultimate Korean BBQ experience to be had at home. It’s worth noting that it can be used with gas hobs and propane gas stoves but not with an induction heat source.
This pan can be used to host a stovetop Korean BBQ or used with a butane tabletop burner for a dining table cooking experience.
The combination of a concave shape and cast iron surface provides a Korean barbecue experience close to what you would find at a Korean traditional BBQ grill restaurant.
- Thick and heavy cast iron – This ensures tasty food and a high-quality, long-lasting product.
- Built-in handle – This allows easy handling.
- Concave shape surface – This helps to channel oil and fat down to aid healthy cooking.
- Need to season the cast iron pan before use – this will ensure a non-stick finish (this involves coating it in oil and heating it in the oven).
- No drainage hole – You’ll also need to manually pour off grease during the cooking process.
- 🗸 SAFE NON STICK GRILL PAN – Tired of your food...
- 🗸 EASY OUTDOOR OR INDOOR USE – Take this barbeque...
- 🗸 MULTIPLE FOOD COMPARTMENTS – Unlike other basic...
This pan can be used indoors and outdoors and offers incredible versatility, which is why I’ve chosen it as one of my top selections for a Korean home grill.
If your family enjoys eating different cuts of meat, this multi-compartment pan could be the right Korean BBQ grill for you!
This Korean BBQ pan features six different cooking compartments, letting you separate ingredients and achieve optimal results for each one, with no cross-contamination – fussy eaters, this one is for you.
It also utilizes a slightly tilted design, allowing fat to drain off through the drain hole easily.
With a 40cm wide grill top, you’ll have plenty of space for your favorite ingredients, and with a non-stick porcelain surface, you won’t need to spend hours washing up after dinner.
- Variety of different food compartments – A great pan for fussy eaters and those who like to cook many different ingredients.
- Heatproof handles – This enables easy and safe handling during or after cooking.
- Tilted legs – Fat drain-off is easy, resulting in healthy food and less cleaning.
- The large surface area – This pan likely won’t fit in a dishwasher.
- No included tray – You’ll need to provide your own fat drip tray.
- 💪 DURABLE HARDWEAR – Enhanced thickness and durable...
- 🌈 AVAILABLE FOR ALL HEAT SOURCES - Compatible with all...
- 😄 EASY TO USE AND SAVE TIME - A hole called “Grease...
As my last (but certainly not least) pick for the best Korean home grill, I’ve chosen the UPIT Korean BBQ Egg Grill Pan.
This pan can be used on gas stoves and induction hobs due to a steel layer at the bottom – making this an incredibly versatile Korean BBQ pan.
This design has a few different compartments, allowing you to cook multiple ingredients at once.
What’s more, a large surface diameter of around 13.5 inches provides ample space for cooking a good quantity of food, making this the best grill pan for larger families.
The pan is made of durable cast aluminum and is finished with a Teflon non-stick coating, allowing for crispy bbq food without any sticking and scorching.
It also has a slight slope to allow for easy fat draining through the large drain hole.
- Large pan diameter – Allows for the cooking of a lot of food all at once.
- Separate compartments – Uniquely specialized for the cooking of different ingredients.
- Can be used on both a gas burner and electric stove – This design is truly versatile and suits a range of kitchen setups.
- Doesn’t have any handles – Can be tricky to handle when hot.
- Drip tray not included – You’ll need to provide your own drip tray.
Why You Should Use Only The Best Korean BBQ Grills
All high-quality Korean BBQ grills will use a premium non-stick coating on the griddle surface, usually made of a material such as Teflon.
Having this coating is essential to getting fantastic results with your BBQ grill, as it essentially ensures that nothing sticks to the grill’s surface during the cooking process.
This aids cleaning and ensures the longevity of your cast aluminum grill: no one wants to spend hours washing up after having a Korean BBQ!
Although for an authentic BBQ grill experience you will cook your food over a gas or induction or charcoal heat source, another key feature of a good quality BBQ grill is that it is oven safe.
This is really useful for keeping food warm after it has been cooked, as you can place the pan in the oven with the hot food.
Most pans featured in my round-up will be oven safe up to a specific temperature, but it’s worth checking the specific features of your pan, just to make sure!
All-in-one designs such as the charcoal BBQ featured will not be able to be put in the oven, but most stove-top designs will.
Although not all Korean-style grills use food compartments, this can be a really handy feature that demonstrates a well-thought-out and well-designed grill.
Food compartments – such as those seen in the UPIT Korean BBQ Egg Grill Pan, allow for the ideal cooking of different types of food or cuts of meat at the same time.
It also allows the separation of food, which is great for fussy eaters who don’t like the flavors of the marinades for one type of meat.
These pans also usually have a large surface size to cook vast quantities of food in a shorter time period.
Easy To Use
Most high-quality Korean barbecues will have a range of functions and features built in to make them incredibly easy to use, aiding a seamless cooking process. Some really useful features to look out for when choosing your grill include:
- Heat-proof handles
- Tilted pans to aid grease drips
- A hole to drain the fat
- Non-stick material
- Separate compartments
- Dishwasher safe
The best designs will make the cooking process as easy as possible, for high-quality results, with good safety measures and an easy clean-up.
If you love Korean BBQ cuisine and the communal cooking experience, it’s well worth purchasing a Korean barbecue grill to recreate the experience at home.
Whether you’re after a gas, charcoal, or electric design, an all-in-one unit, or a stove-top pan, I’ve listed some of the very best BBQ grills on the market, so you can choose the perfect design for you.
Once you’ve decided which barbecue grill suits you and your household best, it’s time to get cooking! Here’s are favourite Korean recipes!
What Is A Korean BBQ Grill Used For?
Korean BBQ Grill’s are usually used to grill meat and vegetables in Korean-style, usually at high-heats and often in the center of a table where everyone can get involved in the cooking process.
Common styles of food cooked on a Korean BBQ table include bulgogi, galbi, and chadolbegi.
What Food Can I Cook In A Korean Grill Pan?
Although made traditionally to suit the cooking of Korean cuisine, you can cook pretty much anything that you can make on a regular grill.
The BBQ Grill is capable of providing delicious meals even though they’re often made on the tabletop.
The heat output of some grills will be less than an ordinary grill, however, so it works best for thin cuts of meat – such as the traditional chadolbegi.
Is A Korean Grill Healthy?
Korean Grills are, in fact, a really healthy way of cooking meat. The design of the griddles and grills often utilize fat runoff, with fat drainage holes and titled pans, so the meat is often very lean.
How Much Does A Korean Grill Pan Cost?
The cost of a Korean Grill Pan will depend on the model chosen and the features it includes. For example, some really cost-effective and high-quality models are on the market, such as the CookKing - Korean Traditional BBQ Grill and the TeChef Stovetop Korean BBQ Non-Stick Grill.
Alternatively, for a premium all-in-one design such as the Iwatani Smokeless Korean BBQ, you can expect to pay a lot more.
What Is The Difference Between An American BBQ And A Korean BBQ?
A Korean BBQ tends to involve thin cuts of premium meat, marinated (usually), and cooked for a short duration over high heat (via either gas or charcoal). This meat is served accompanied by different sauces and sides, often flavors common and popular in Asia such as soy, garlic, and ginger.
An American BBQ often involves cooking thicker cuts of meat – such as burgers – usually cooked over a charcoal BBQ.
These cuts of meat take a lot longer to cook and are often not marinated beforehand and are then served with different flavors – such as ketchup and Texas BBQ sauce.
Richmond Howard started Meal Prepify in 2019 and has helped over a million people learn how to meal prep, get better at meal planning, and create a kitchen they love to use. He’s an avid home chef and loves to bbq, grill out, and make awesome food for family and friends. He’s been featured on MSN, Renaissance Periodization, and Good Financial Cents.