This article may contain links from our affiliate partners. Please read how we make money!
Have you ever dreamed of roasting an entire chicken… in your microwave?
Incredibly versatile, with the ability to bake, roast and grill as well as simply heat up and defrost, the microwave convection oven is a well-loved kitchen gadget.
It costs more than your standard unit but is capable of so much more.
When you don’t have the room in your kitchen for a free-standing range or are lacking the budget to invest in a proper stove setup, this countertop combination is a real lifesaver.
But how do you know which ones are best?
Not to worry – leave the hard work to us. We’re here with a list of the best micro-convection hybrids on the market right now, ready for your perusal. Listing their distinct features, pros and cons, your decision is even easier to make.
However, if you need further convincing on reasons to upgrade to a combination unit, or would like to know more about what makes a good one, we’ve got you covered. Our buyer’s guide lays out everything there is to know on the subject!
If You’re in a Hurry – My Tops Picks at a Glance
Still got a question that’s stopping you from hitting Add to Cart? Maybe you’ll find the answer in our set of Frequently Asked Questions, which we’ve collected from your fellow aspiring chefs. Hopefully, your query will be amongst them.
The 9 Best Microwave Convection Ovens Reviews
- Hands-Free Operation – This microwave is integrated with...
- Updating Preset Menus - Preset menus include 23 popular...
- Built-in Humidity Sensor - Humidity sensor automatically...
With more than ten thousand five star ratings, it was obvious that the Smart Countertop microwave convection oven from Toshiba had to be our number one choice.
Affordable and packed full of amazing features, it’ll change your culinary life.
Boasting a huge pre-set menu with more than twenty popular dishes, including popcorn, pizza and potatoes, there’s no need to mess around with weights or guesstimate cooking times. This baby does it all for you!
A built-in humidity sensor works to automatically detect steam being produced and adjust cooking power accordingly – this allows a more optimum cooking experience, and may even save you money on your electricity bill to boot.
Other energy saving features include an LED cavity light and the integrated ECO mode which reduces power consumption considerably, by up to 50 percent.
An attractive stainless steel construction looks good and is easily maintained.
Not only can it do all of that, but it is also equipped with the latest and greatest Amazon Echo technology and Alexa assistance.
By pairing it with your existing device, you can run this microwave hands free. Turn it on with just your voice!
- Over 20 different pre-installed cooking programs for popular foods
- Several energy saving, power efficient features to save you time and money
- In-built Intelligent Humidity Sensor automatically adjusts cooking temps
- Compatible with Amazon Echo products, for hands-free operation
- The app used for Alexa connectivity can be tricky to understand at first!
- LED light can be disrupted at higher temperatures, according to reviews
- Your purchase includes One GE Profile 22-Inch Countertop...
- Microwave dimensions: 20" D x 21.75" W x 13" H | Inside...
- Convection cooking – Choose this setting when baking or...
Looking to achieve golden brown baking every time? Look no further than the GE Profile Microwave Convection oven, which utilizes a specially designed rack to evenly distribute heat and circulate air. Perfect technique… in a microwave?!
General Electric has been manufacturing quality household appliances for decades, and this stainless steel combination unit is no exception.
A wonderful addition to any countertop, it’s sleek, stylish and capable of more than ten different power levels.
Integrated sensors internally detect when adjustments are needed and automatically alter both cooking time and power level in order to achieve optimum cooking results. You don’t even have to hit a button – this just happens!
Those with kitchens on the smaller side: never fear! Thanks to its low, thirteen by twenty inch profile, this unit should fit easily beneath upper cabinets if you’re having trouble finding somewhere to put it.
Whether you’re looking to bake, broil, roast, reheat or defrost – this baby does it all!
Auto defrost, add on an extra thirty seconds, quickly reheat a cup of tea… your abilities range far beyond that of a normal microwave. Hence the hefty price tag!
- Ten plus power settings and temperature changes
- Broil, bake, roast and more
- Beautiful, sleek stainless steel design
- Small profile ideal for kitchens with limited space
- Very much on the expensive side!
- The Ultimate All-In-One Multi Oven: It’s a countertop...
- Healthy Air Fryer Mode: Quickly circulates hot air around...
- Use as a Main or Second Oven: Use Convection Bake function...
For the ultimate in all-in-one kitchen technology, check out the Home Chef from Panasonic: far from just a microwave, it’s a broiler, air fryer and convection over too. Use each independently or altogether for an array of delicious cooking methods.
As a wonderful alternative to deep frying, enjoy crispy french fries, nuggets and wings without the added calorific content – thanks to the quick circulation of hot air, food is cooked evenly and efficiently, for ultimate crunch.
Ranging between 100 and 425 degrees Fahrenheit, the convection bake function serves as a second oven with or without the need to preheat!
Plus, with the FlashXpress Broiler, you can toast, brown and crisp up in a matter of seconds.
Not only that, but it also includes Panasonic’s patented inverter technology. Capable of smart and even reheating, defrosting, cooking and gentle warming, the Genius Sensor can perform several automatic functions completely autonomously!
Though the internal capacity is large enough to roast an entire chicken, the overall footprint of this sleek, space saving design is perfect for kitchens of all shapes and sizes. Simply sit on the countertop or use the optional trim kit for a built-in look.
- Attractive, space-saving design in stylish stainless steel
- Inverter and auto-cook technology for even more prep options
- Serves as a second or backup oven
- Air fryer function is a healthy alternative to other cooking methods
- Buttons are on the small side and may be difficult for some to read
- Pre-programmed sensor menu for optimum heating of popular...
- Black Stainless Steel exterior, 20.5 x 17.1 x 12.8 inch (w x...
- 1100 watts with 10 power settings, clock, and kitchen timer
Are you after an affordable combination microwave from a reputable manufacturer?
You’ve found it! The Toshiba Convection Microwave Oven is ideal, with ten power settings, one touch popcorn and custom automatic defrost.
A sizable digital display and easy to read control panel feature such helpful functions as power saving mode and sound on/off and a convenient soften/melt program for heating up butter, chocolate and cheese delicately. 8 auto menus spare guesswork!
Though at a budget friendly price, the sensor technology rivals far more expensive units, able to constantly monitor the humidity level and automatically adjust both cooking time and temperature in order to revolutionize food preparation.
Maintenance is simplistic; made from hard-wearing materials, an easy-to-clean coating means the unit is resistant to scratches and stains. All you need is a damp cloth and some gentle wiping to restore it to its original glory.
1.2 cubic feet of cooking space on a 12.4 inch turntable means there’s space to beautifully roast an entire chicken. In spite of that, it’s only 12.8 inches tall, so this microwave convection oven fits easily on any counter.
- Much more affordable than units with similar capabilities
- Plenty of capacity, despite a small footprint
- Easy to clean, scratch and stain resistant
- Automatic sensor optimizes cooking process
- Custom defrost settings can be a bit too excessive, according to reviews
- 1.2 cu ft of cooking space Metal front and black cabinet
- 11 microwave power levels 1 pure grill power level
- 99-minute, 99-second digital timer Time and weight defrost...
As manufacturers of quality, affordable household goods for over a hundred years, Emerson is certainly a brand you can trust.
Their take on the countertop convection oven is versatile enough to cook for the entire family, quickly and healthily!
Though affordably priced, it’s packed full of features: a convenient grill function and nine pre-programmed recipe settings, eleven power levels, plus even more programs to explore. You’ll find not just culinary convenience, but delicious food at the end of it.
Sturdy and durable, yet subtle and attractive, the black cabinet paired with a brushed metal front easily pairs with any kitchen’s decor. Whether you’re baking a frozen pizza or roasting some beef, this appliance does it all in style.
Sizewise, you have 1.2 cubic feet of cooking space inside this attractive black and stainless steel design. The removable turntable accommodates a variety of cooking vessels, allowing food to be evenly and thoroughly heated every time.
Its LED display is clear and easy to read, and the 99 minute, 99 second digital timer helps you easily keep track of cooking times.
Constructed with safety in mind, there is a child-proof locking mechanism that can be turned on to protect little hands.
- Budget friendly, contemporary looking convection microwave combi
- 11 power levels, two dual power levels and nine pre-programmed recipes
- Sturdy yet sleek; easy to read displays
- Versatile cooking methods in spite of affordability
- Fewer bells and whistles – no sensor or auto-cooking functions, for instance
- 【ULTIMATE COOKING VERSATILITY】 Galanz 1.2 Cu. Ft, 1000W...
- 【TotalFry 360 Technology】 Air fry with little or no oil...
- 【COMBI-SPEED COOKING】 Faster than either mode alone, the...
Promising to be the ultimate in kitchen versatility, the 3-in-1 Convection oven Microwave from Galanz combines three popular appliances into one small yet mighty unit. Combi-Speed, air fry, convection and microwave power, all at your disposal.
Attain perfectly crisp french fries with little to no oil, thanks to TotalFry 360 Technology – air frying crunchy favorites like chicken wings, popcorn shrimp and others has never been easier, or more healthy!
Faster than running either mode alone, intelligently combining true convection and microwave cooking serves to cook food optimally, in record time. Roast a whole chicken, bake some potatoes, even steam your veggies, all in one vessel.
Thanks to the heated air that circulates throughout the oven as your food rotates 360 degrees on repeat, meals are prepared faster and more evenly than ever. There’s no hidden hot spots – you can even broil or bake as you would in a regular sized oven.
If all of that wasn’t enough for you, there’s even a built in humidity detector; instantaneously detecting how much hot air there is inside the unit, this baby guarantees your food will never be overcooked or undercooked again.
- Inbuilt humidity detector ensures perfectly cooked food every time
- TotalFry 360 air frying technology, as well as microwave and convection heat
- Purchase includes air fry kit, baking and roasting pan, glass tray and roller ring
- Combi-speed cooking for efficient, thorough heating/defrosting
- Customer reviews indicate that the glass turntable provided is easily broken
- Unit Dimensions: 21.20" L x 19.00" W x 12.20" H | MC Weight:...
- 1.2-cubic-foot capacity, 1000 watts
- Brushed stainless with embossed Cuisinart logo and dark...
In a gorgeous brushed stainless steel, this Cuisinart take on the microwave convection combi looks far more expensive than it is.
Its stainless steel interior is durable and easily maintained, so it should stay looking beautiful for years to come!
An LCD screen and touchpad controls are easily navigated. You can choose to convection bake or roast with or without the microwave function – the combination of both methods makes for highly efficient cooking, without compromising on taste.
The advanced technology of a Multistage Cooking function allows you to program the unit to automatically shift between functions in order to perform a series of techniques in sequence. Defrost and then instantly cook a meal with no hassle!
Though the internal capacity is a spacious 1.2 cubic feet, the microwave only stands 12.4 inches tall, so it’s easy to tuck beneath a cabinet or sit prettily on a counter.
The oven’s capacity itself is equivalent to 32L, a more than adequate cooking space.
Two convenient defrosting functions allow you to bring your food to temperature either by weight or by time – whichever method you prefer, Cuisinart promises you’ll achieve perfect results every single time!
- Convection baking and roasting, either with or without combined microwave power
- Multi-stage cooking for easy full-meal preparation in one unit
- Attractive brushed stainless steel exterior and tinted window
- Versatile preset cooking options from Popcorn to Pizza
- Customer reviews indicate that making a claim under the warranty is incredibly difficult
- Meet Amazon Smart Oven - A 4-in-1 microwave, convection...
- Certified for Humans - Struggle-free, tinker-free,...
- Preset it and forget it - Includes 30+ built-in presets,...
Taking technological leaps and bounds, Amazon proudly presents their Smart Oven: uniquely combining the functions of microwave, convection oven, air fryer and food warmer, this is a struggle free, stress free unit that’s designed for the future.
Choose between four beautiful colors: Sandstone, Plum, Charcoal and Heather Grey. Each unit looks far too beautiful to be a simple microwave, which is exactly why they aren’t! There are 30 different presets: just hit a button and you’re cooking!
Featuring their impressive Alexa voice assistant technology, this microwave ANNOUNCES to the family that dinner is ready or the oven is preheated, via your compatible Echo devices. No need to stand watch whilst everything cooks anymore.
An internal temperature probe is able to automatically detect when your food has been prepared just the way you like it; equally as impressive scan-to-cook technology cooks select packaged foods automatically, just by using the Alexa app.
Spacious enough to evenly cook a 5 pound chicken without breaking a sweat, Amazon’s Smart countertop oven might just replace your full size range.
It’s even voice controlled, for the most efficient cooking procedures you’ve ever seen.
- Combines convection oven, microwave, air fryer and keep warm functionality to create the ultimate 4-in-1
- Alexa technology (paired with compatible Echo devices) allows for voice-controlled cooking
- 30 pre-set functions on keypad, more than 100 voice commands
- 4 aesthetically pleasing designs to select from
- Customer reviews indicate it can be quite noisy as it functions
- 850-watt, over-the-range convection microwave browns, bakes,...
- 2-color, 7-digit, interactive display; Smart and Easy sensor...
- 1.1-cubic-foot, stainless-steel interior with light; 13-inch...
Last but certainly not least is this Over-the-Range take on a microwave convection oven from Sharp, a long-term manufacturer of popular household electronics. It can microwave, brown, bake, broil, crisp and roast: could it be any more versatile?
Simplistic yet stylish, the stainless steel exterior is attractive and easily installed above your full sized range. Serving as a backup to your regularly sized unit, you’ll wish you’d purchased a second (albeit smaller) oven sooner!
A seven digit interactive display paired with patented Smart and Easy sensor settings works with the interactive cooking system to offer easy-to-follow cooking and programming instructions. Making full meals for the family has never been easier!
The built in exhaust system, hood light and powerful fan allow it to function as powerfully as a full-size range; in spite of its 1.1 cubic feet of capacity, the stainless steel interior and 13 inch turntable provide even heating, every time.
You can rest assured that this unit will serve you well for years to come, thanks to Sharp’s free ten year warranty for all major components.
Should anything malfunction or not meet your expectations, it’s easy to find a resolution that works.
- Installs over the range with built in exhaust system and powerful fan
- Four in one cooking capabilities
- Smart and Easy internal sensor and automatic cooking programs
- Sleek and stylish design to suit any kitchen
- On the very expensive side!
Best Microwave Convection Ovens Buying Guide
What *Is* A Microwave Convection Oven?
So, what makes these nifty pieces of technology tick? Well, in general, they still rotate and heat food in the same way a microwave would, and they are also able to perform the same duties as your regular oven does, in terms of roasting or baking.
The whole convection thing refers to the internal fan that every combi comes with, which serves to push the heat produced around, circulating hot air. Not only will your food cook more quickly and efficiently, it’ll also do a thorough and more even job.
Essentially, it’s a beautiful blended baby, born from combining the oven and the microwave. Pint-sized yet powerful, they’re wonderful for dorm rooms, apartments and those trying to save space or don’t have the money to spend on a larger oven.
Why Opt For A Convection/Microwave Combi?
You may be asking yourself: why don’t I just get myself a standard microwave? Well, you could, but it really depends on what you’re after. Just want to reheat and defrost? Regular model is fine.
But, what about if you want access to the following…
1. More cooking techniques – kitchen flexibility! Whilst you’re very much limited by what you can cook in a regular microwave, the combination unit is able to perform all of the cooking abilities of a regular oven – by utilizing microwave energy, convection heat and, occasionally, a grill, you’ll find making any food is as simple as using your combi! The fanciest options are even capable of air frying and steaming!
2. Healthier eating, faster Using those aforementioned techniques, you’ll be able to prepare much healthier meals, but they’ll also be done faster – convection ovens are obviously a lot smaller than their full-size counterparts, so heat travels more quickly and efficiently. It’s helped even further by the in-built fans moving the heat around so every inch of your food gets access to some heat. You can even use multiple functions to speed up the process and save yourself time – microwave your food to piping hot in a matter of minutes, then pop on the grill to get it nice and crispy. Win-win!
3. Automatic cooking? Some microwave convection ovens have in-built, pre-established cooking settings, allowing you to perform multi-stage techniques (for instance, defrosting and then cooking) with minimal fuss or effort on your part. In the same way a slow cooker can be left to bubble away for hours, so too can your combi microwave perform all of its pre-progammed functions without the need for your intervention.
4. Space-saving kitchen heroes As we’ve already mentioned, microwave convection ovens are only a few inches bigger than their regular old microwave predecessors. As a result, they can totally transform a kitchen and your abilities within it – even if you haven’t got the space for a proper, full size oven, there’s no reason you can’t enjoy a wide variety of foods and preparation methods. Let’s face it, we’ve all wished we had more than one oven at some point or another.
Plus, you can even make use of its heat-retaining capabilities to keep side dishes warm whilst you wait for other dishes to finish. The culinary possibilities are endless!
Features To Consider:
It sounds obvious, but ensuring the oven you opt for is actually going to fit in the space you’re envisaging is important. Be sure to measure out your available countertop space before you start shopping around!
As well as being sure that the dimensions are suitable for your kitchen, you should also think about the unit’s internal capacity. When you’re cooking for more than one or two, you’re going to need more of that precious cooking space.
If you can, aim for a flatbed unit over the standard turntable design: they offer extra room for cooking, allowing you to fit larger cookware or food items inside without the need to leave enough room for successful rotation.
When turntables are unavoidable, aiming for a unit that allows you to remove the internal plate to make space for your other cooking vessels and equipment is preferable. Otherwise, you’re bound to the items you can fit inside!
The more money you’re willing to spend, the broader the list of built-in features your new microwave convection oven can perform will be.
Bake, defrost, grill, reheat, roast… you can do so much more than you’d be able to with a regular microwave.
Many also have pre-programmed cooking times for a whole host of foods, from frozen pizza and baked potatoes to roasting an entire chicken. Those lacking the cooking skills necessary to do these things naturally can seriously benefit.
Plus, if you’re looking for a more efficient cooking process, those units capable of ‘auto-cook’ functionality – meaning they cook for the right time and method, based on the food’s weight and what it is – can make your life a whole lot easier.
Those combi-microwaves on the higher end of the price range can also feature an internal sensor, which is able to calculate exactly how much your food needs cooking, reheating or defrosting. You don’t even have to enter a weight value!
Ease of Maintenance
Depending on the size of the microwave oven and the materials used to construct it, you’ll have an easier or more difficult time in upkeep and cleaning.
Try and opt for a wipe-clean, hard-wearing stainless steel, which shines up to a polish in no time at all.
Some of the higher-end units are even self-cleaning, which means that although you might have to pop in some water or another solution, the microwave can successfully remove some of its own grime and grease.
Here are some easy tips on how to clean your microwave.
Sure, the aesthetic of a microwave has very little to do with how well it performs its tasks… but it’s going to be a mainstay in your kitchen.
If you care about decor, picking out a microwave that matches your other appliances may be worthwhile.
It’s just as possible to get incredibly high-tech looking, shiny, robotic style microwave convection ovens as it is to get a vintage, 50’s style unit. With the whole internet at your disposal, you’ll be sure to find something you like the look of.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you put metal in a microwave convection oven?
Provided that you aren’t using the microwave function at any point during the cooking process, for instance, if you’re simply using the unit for convection, then it’s safe to use metal cookware or foil in the process. Then and only then!
If you’re intending to use an auto-cook program and are also using foil or metal as part of that process, be absolutely certain that the microwave function will not activate at any point.
Otherwise, metal plus a microwave equals an absolute no-go!
Can you grill in a microwave convection oven?
It all depends – certain units will offer you a grilling program or functionality as standard, whereas others don’t feature them.
Those who tend to do a lot of grilling or really need one should double check product specifications before purchasing!
That being said, it’s possible to SIMULATE grilling within a microwave convection oven that doesn’t offer the option.
By placing a baking tray filled with water in the unit first, then placing a grill tray on top, one can create at least the illusion of a grill.
Can you cook a pizza in a microwave convection oven?
Indeed you can! Anything a regular, standard oven or range is able to do, a convection microwave can also do, on a smaller level.
Most units will have a pre-programmed pizza function, so just toss it in and you’re ready to go!
Otherwise, follow normal cooking instructions on the box for preparing your pizza in a regular oven – just set your combi microwave up to prepare it in the same way.
You’ll be enjoying some cheesy deliciousness in no time!
Richmond Howard started Meal Prepify in 2019 and has helped over a million people learn how to meal prep, get better at meal planning, and create a kitchen they love to use. He’s an avid home chef and loves to bbq, grill out, and make awesome food for family and friends. He’s been featured on MSN, Renaissance Periodization, and Good Financial Cents.