This article may contain links from our affiliate partners. Please read how we make money!
Whether you’re an enthusiastic home cook or a professional chef, everybody loves cooking with cast iron!
If you’ve got a cast iron cookware obsession, then you’ll know that not only is it perfect for providing an even cooking heat, but it’s also fantastic for cooking a variety of recipes. From slow cooking to flash frying, cast iron pots, pans and skillets really are fantastic additions to any kitchen.
But, they do take a bit of care to keep them in tip-top shape. Seasoning them with oils help to keep the cooking surface well maintained and smooth, but this needs to be done frequently, which is time consuming and ultimately expensive.
So how else can you help to maintain the quality of your cast iron?
If You’re in a Hurry – My Tops Picks at a Glance
Well, a good quality spatula is pretty much essential for this. However, there is still some confusion about what sort of spatula is suitable for use with cast iron, with many people believing that metal spatulas may cause damage to their pans, or that silicone ones may not be strong enough to handle the weight of flipping burgers or steaks.
To help make things a bit clearer, we’ve listed five amazing spatulas below that will help keep your cast iron in great condition. We’ve also put together some advice on what to look out for when you’re shopping for a spatula to use with your cast iron cookware, and help to answer any questions you may have before making your purchase.
So, sit back and relax whilst we guide you through the ins and outs of the best spatulas for cast iron.
Best Spatulas for Cast Iron – Reviews
- ✅ HEAVY DUTY & STURDY - griddle spatula set is tough....
- ✅ COMFORTABLE FIRM GRIP - with ergonomic plastic handles...
- ✅ BEVELLED EDGES - help you to flip easily or even cut and...
What’s better than one amazing spatula? How about three! Consisting of one long metal spatula, one grill top flat spatula and one griddle scraper, this set of professional grade spatulas from Anmarko are heavy duty, sturdy and designed to last a lifetime.
Ergonomic plastic handles give you a secure grip, and each spatula is weighted and balanced to provide you with the ultimate comfortable experience when in use.
Each spatula features a bevelled edge that will help you to easily flip over food, and to cut and chop food whilst it’s cooking, whilst the refined edges that make up the rest of the spatula are designed to prevent any accidental scratches or damage to your cast iron whilst you cook.
Easy to clean, this set of three spatulas are totally dishwasher safe, and to give you a further helping hand in the kitchen, the griddle scraper even comes with a list of measure equivalents embossed directly onto it.
- Set of three spatulas; a long metal spatula, a grill top flat spatula and a griddle scraper
- The ergonomic plastic handles provide you with a secure grip
- Each spatula is weighted and balanced for a comfortable cooking experience
- Features bevelled edges for easy flipping, cutting and chopping
- Totally dishwasher safe
- The handles of these spatulas are plastic and not heat proof, therefore will be susceptible to melting and becoming hot to the touch if left balanced on the edge of a pan
- Hardened Stainless Steel For Even Cast Iron Skillet Surface...
- Precision Beveled Straight Edge for Optimal Food Release
- Comfortable Heat Resistant Single Piece Hardwood Handle
Designed specifically for use with cast iron pots, pans and skillets, this stainless steel spatula from MANNKITCHEN is the perfect tool for anybody that loves cooking with cast iron.
Featuring a precision bevelled edge, this spatula will allow you to carry out cooking tasks that require a bit of elbow grease, as well as create recipes that need a more delicate touch.
This ingenious design also helps to eliminate flex for smash burgers and remains sturdy for tasks that require a bit of hard scraping.
It also features a single-piece hardwood handle that not only allows for a comfortable and secure hold when in use, but also stays cool to the touch and won’t overheat or melt when rested on the side of a hot skillet.
The 420 stainless steel construction is corrosion and rust resistant, and over time will even help to smooth out the rough surface texture of cast iron.
- Designed specifically for use with cast iron cookware
- Features a bevelled edge for both tough and delicate cooking tasks
- The single-piece hardwood handle is heat proof and comfortable to use
- Made with corrosion resistant and rust resistant 420 stainless steel
- Will also help to smooth out the rough texture of cast iron over time
- This spatula is hand wash only, so is not suitable for the dishwasher
- ONLY THE BEST - Our food grade, BPA Free, and LFGB Certified...
- CLEANS EASY, SANITARY DESIGN – You will be happy to know...
- PRO-GRADE TURNER SPATULAS – Our flexible reinforced...
If you’re concerned about using metal utensils on your cast iron cookware then this set of three silicone spatulas from Di Oro could be exactly what you’re looking for.
Heat resistant up to 600°F, they are ideal for use with cast iron pots, pans and skillets, and also won’t risk melting when balanced on the edge of a pan. Created using BPA-free, FDA-approved non-stick silicone, they are totally safe for use in cooking and won’t release any toxins or chemicals into your food as you cook.
Designed to last, each spatula is anchored in place using Di Oro’s powerful S-Core internal stainless steel support technology, so you can rest assured that they won’t break when you’re using them.
Perfect for a variety of kitchen tasks including flipping, sauteing and folding, the silicone design also prevents any splitting or cracking that you might get from a wooden alternative, meaning that no bacteria can harbor. They are also super easy to clean, and can either be hand washed or put in the dishwasher.
- A set of three silicone spatulas; a standard spatula, a round turner and a long turner
- Heat resistant up to 600°F, reducing the risk of melting
- FDA-approved, BPA-free silicone won’t release any chemicals into your food when cooking
- Features S-Core stainless steel support technology for extra rigidity in use
- Easy to clean by either hand washing or placing in the dishwasher
- These spatulas do not feature the bevelled edges that are usually found on metal alternatives
- FIVE ESSENTIAL SPATULAS FOR GRILLS AND GRIDDLES: Two...
- MADE FROM DURABLE STAINLESS-STEEL: The durable...
- TWO MULTIFUNCTIONAL SPATULAS: Perforated spatula and...
With five spatulas to choose from, this set from Cuisinart will help you carry out a wide range of cooking tasks.
Consisting of two long spatulas, one round shoulder spatula, one tapered shoulder spatula and a dual purpose chopping spatula, this set contains everything you would find in a professional kitchen.
The two long spatulas have serrated edges that are perfect for cutting food whilst it cooks, and one also features perforations that allow oil, grease and fat to drain off the food before you plate it up.
The blades of each spatula have been designed to easily and gently slide underneath food without causing any damage to the cooking surface, whilst the bevelled edges make flipping and turning food easy and simple.
They’ve also been designed with ergonomic handles to provide a comfortable grip, and the handles also won’t absorb any oil or grease so you can be certain you’ve got a secure grip on them.
- Set of five spatulas; two long handled spatulas, one round shoulder spatula, one tapered shoulder spatula and a dual purpose chopping spatula
- Both of the long spatulas have serrated edges for cutting food
- One of the long spatulas also features perforations to allow grease drainage
- Designed to slide underneath food without causing damage to the cooking surface
- Comfortable handles that don’t absorb fat or oil give you a secure grip
- Some customers have noted that these spatulas are quite heavy to use due to the stainless steel construction, so may not be suitable for anybody requiring something a little more lightweight
- Stainless steel construction prevents rust while a plastic...
- 13 Inch length provides enough distance from the pan to...
- Thin, angled edge slips under food easily when cooking for...
The thin, angled edge on this spatula from Chef Craft allows you to gently slide it underneath food with minimal scraping on the cooking surface, making it ideal for use with cast iron.
Constructed from heavy duty stainless steel that is corrosion and rust resistant, and completed with an ergonomic plastic handle, this spatula is lightweight and comfortable to use. It’s also built without any welding points, providing extra strength and durability for flipping and turning food.
Coming in at 13 inches long from handle to blade, you can easily flip food from a good distance from the pan without risking getting burnt by any splashing grease or fat.
And, when you’re done cooking, this spatula is super easy to clean and can either be hand washed or put in the dishwasher along with any other cookware or crockery.
- Designed to easily slide underneath food without causing any damage to the pan’s surface
- Made from corrosion and rust resistant stainless steel and a comfortable, ergonomic handle for a secure grip
- Built without welding points for extra durability and strength
- It’s 13 inch length allows you to safely flip food from further away
- Can either be hand washed or placed in the dishwasher
- Doesn’t have a bevelled edge so can’t be used to cut or chop food as you cook
Best Spatulas for Cast Iron – Buyers Guide
Cast iron cookware isn’t cheap, so it’s really important to keep it in good condition. So to keep it free from scratches and other surface damage, a good spatula that can be used on cast iron is an essential part of your kitchen set up.
Before you decide on which one to buy, however, there are a few things you need to keep in mind to not only make sure that your cast iron is protected, but that it’s comfortable for you to cook with as well.
Contrary to popular belief, metal spatulas can be suitable for use on cast iron and in some cases can even help to improve the cooking surface, meaning that you don’t have to season them as often.
This is achieved by the scraping action of the metal rubbing against the cast iron surface and reducing the number of bumps (known as ‘high spots’) in the natural texture, and smoothing out the surface, resulting in a level cooking surface and the reduction of that scraping sound when in use.
Stainless steel is the most commonly used metal in spatulas for cast iron as it is strong, durable and fairly lightweight.
Silicone spatulas are also a good choice for cast iron, as the soft material won’t cause any damage to the cooking area. Spatulas made from silicone won’t smooth down the surface of your pan as metal ones will, however they are much more flexible and lightweight.
If you are considering buying a silicone spatula, be sure to look for one that is BPA free and FDA approved, as these won’t have any risk of toxins or chemicals leaching out into your food.
Another thing to keep in mind when you’re considering which material you’d prefer your spatula to be made of is food hygiene. Metal and silicone spatulas are much less likely to crack or split than standard plastic ones, and therefore won’t harbor bacteria or risk further pieces breaking off into your food as you cook.
When shopping for a spatula for cast iron, you’ll notice that there are many different shapes and sizes available. Some spatulas can do so much more than just flip burgers or eggs, so it’s definitely worth seeing what else you can do with it to help make cooking easier.
Spatulas that feature serrated edges are designed to help you cut through food whilst it’s cooking. These are great for checking if a chicken breast you’re grilling is cooked all the way through, or for carving up a steak straight out of the pan without having to use a separate knife.
A spatula that features a bevelled edge is perfect for helping the spatula neatly slide underneath your food and effectively flipping it over without any hassle. Bevelled edges are also great for scraping the pan if you’re looking to achieve a smooth cooking surface over time.
There are also some spatulas that don’t even look like conventional spatulas at all, but instead are shaped like rectangles or squares with a handle running along the top. These are designed to chop food as it cooks, and are fantastic utensils for making scrambled eggs in cast iron pans with.
These rectangular spatulas are also great for helping to even out the cooking surface of cast iron skillets, as well as scraping off any cooked-on food.
Your spatula needs to be comfortable to operate, so give some thought to the handle that it has.
Plastic, ergonomically designed handles will offer you a comfortable grip when in use, and are often made with materials that won’t absorb any grease or fat that you’re cooking with, ensuring that the spatula won’t slip out of your hand when you’re cooking with it.
There are also spatulas available with wooden handles which are lightweight to use and comfortable to hold. One of the great benefits of a wooden handle is, unlike plastic handles, they won’t absorb heat or risk melting when rested on the edge of a pan,
Whichever you choose, look for a spatula that has been constructed with durability in mind, such as S-Core support technology or no welding points, as this will reduce the risk of the spatula breaking or the blade coming away from the handle whilst you cook.
All cooking comes with the dreaded chore of washing dirty dishes and utensils, and we all want this to be as easy as it possibly can be.
With that in mind, it’s definitely worth looking for a spatula that you can either throw in the dishwasher with everything else, or that is going to be easy to wash by hand. This will take a lot of effort out of cleaning up, and make sure it’s ready to use again next time!
Frequently Asked Questions
Is it safe to use a metal spatula on cast iron?
Despite what you may have been told, it is actually safe to use a metal spatula on cast iron as long as it has been designed to do so.
Metal spatulas that are made for use on cast iron won’t only help you cook with ease, but will also help to smooth out the surface texture of your cookware, meaning that you no longer need to season it as frequently.
What is a bevelled edge on a spatula used for?
A bevelled edge spatula actually has a few great uses. Firstly, it allows you to easily slide the spatula underneath food such as burgers, chicken breast or steak and flip it over in one smooth move. Bevelled edges are also great for chopping food as it cooks, ideal for making scrambled eggs, and for helping to smooth the surface of a cast iron pan.
Is cast iron – dishwasher safe?
Cast iron should always be washed by hand if possible, as chemicals and detergents used in dishwasher tablets can cause damage to the texture of the cooking surface and strip it of any seasoning you applied.
Richmond Howard started Meal Prepify in 2019 and has helped over a million people learn how to meal prep, get better at meal planning, and create a kitchen they love to use. He’s an avid home chef and loves to bbq, grill out, and make awesome food for family and friends. He’s been featured on MSN, Renaissance Periodization, and Good Financial Cents.