This article may contain links from our affiliate partners. Please read how we make money!
Finding the best quiet range hood for your kitchen is a huge decision. Range hoods are expensive and last forever so whatever you buy, you’re going to be stuck with. We know that range hoods can be loud and make it impossible to have a conversation while you’re cooking.
Here are the 3 main criteria we used to pick the best quiet range hood for you:
- Noise (decibels)
- Power (CFM)
- Other things we made note of: Size and installation type
- The 8 Best Quiet Range Hoods Reviewed in this Guide
- What Kind of Range Hood do you Need for your Kitchen?
- The 8 Quietest Kitchen Range Hoods
- 1. Quietest Range Hood- KOBE Brillia Under-cabinet Range Hood
- 2. Most Affordable- Cosmo Under Cabinet Range Hood
- 3. Most Powerful – IKTCH Wall Mount Range Hood
- 4. Best Wall Mount – ZLINE KB Range Hood
- 5. Most Balanced – BV Stainless Range Hood
- 6. Great Value – Empava Under Cabinet Ducted Range Hood
- 7. Best Island Range Hood – ZLINE GL Range Hood
- 8. Great Value – Awoco Super Quiet Split Insert Range Hood
- Four Types of Kitchen Range Hoods
- Ductless vs Ducted Range Hoods
- Range Hood Sizes
- Buyer’s Guide: How to Pick the Best Quiet Vent Hood for your Kitchen
- Common Questions About Quiet Range Hoods
- Final Verdict: Which of the Quietest Range Hoods is Best for you?
The Best Quiet Range Hoods Reviewed in this Guide
If you’re in a hurry, here are the two options:
- Overall best quiet range hood: KOBE Brillia. This is the best range hood for the price. It has the absolute lowest sound level with 40 decibels, while still retaining power and efficiency. The stainless steel finish gives it a sleek look. It also has 3 different speed settings and the best filters on the market.
- Quietest range hood on a budget: Cosmo COS-5MU30. If you’re tight on funds, but need a new range hood–this is our go to option.
|Model||Rank||Noise (DB)||Power (CFM)||Type||Price|
|KOBE Brillia||Quietest||40-50||680||Under cabinet||$$$|
|Cosmo COS-5MU||Most affordable||56||200||Under cabinet||$|
|IKTCH||Most powerful||65||900||Wall mount||$$|
|ZLINE KB||Best wall mount||56||400||Wall mount||$$$|
|BV Range Hood||Most balanced||56||750||Under cabinet||$$|
|Empava||Good value||65||500||Under cabinet||$$|
|ZLINE GL 14i-30||Best Island||41||400||Island||$$$$|
The Quietest Kitchen Range Hoods
1. Quietest Range Hood- KOBE Brillia Under-cabinet Range Hood
This list is all about ultra-quiet range hoods, which meant we just had to include KOBE’s excellent Brillia under-cabinet device. The Brillia dominates the competition in terms of noise production and is able to operate at just 40 decibels. The noise output does rise slightly with faster fan speeds, but it will always sit below the 50dB mark.
In the power department, the Brillia device can be cranked all the way up to 680 CFM. This is pretty impressive performance for a slimline under-cabinet hood. You shouldn’t have any problems clearing out fumes from your kitchen with this kind of power.
The KOBE hood comes in a standard 30-inch size and a larger 36-inch variation. Both of them are extremely easy to mount and install and are compatible with many different kitchen types. Even those short on space around their hob should be able to fit a KOBE Brillia in with ease.
The range hood has two bright LED lights built in to illuminate the area below. It’s always great to have a well-lit space while you’re cooking and the Brillia definitely makes sure that’s the case. The LED controls sit next to the three different fan speed settings that you can choose from.
The majority of the device is constructed from highly durable stainless steel that feels like it could last a lifetime. The pairing of these materials with top-notch craftsmanship results in a super reliable range hood.
Overall, this ultra-quiet range hood is yet another product that we highly recommend. If low noise levels are a priority for you, then the KOBE Brillia could well be the best choice on the market for you. It’s also one of the best examples from the under-cabinet range hoods category and great for kitchens with little space to spare.
|Sizes||30, 36 in|
- Powerful: 680 CFM is an impressive power statistic for an under-cabinet range hood. Competes with some of the much larger quiet range hoods on the market.
- Exceptional build quality: With great materials and even better craftsmanship, the Brillia feels like a premium product.
- Easy to use controls: LED lights and fan settings can be adjusted with the tap of a button.
- Gets louder at higher speeds: Although the device never goes above 50dB, it can’t maintain the ultra-quiet 40dB across all fan speeds.
2. Most Affordable – Cosmo Under Cabinet Range Hood
The Cosmo combines performance with compactness making it perhaps the best quiet range hood. Usually, a performance hood needs a larger casing to contain a more powerful motor, but not the Cosmo Under Cabinet Range Hood. This hood is super-quiet, slimline, and highly efficient – it’s also made from quality steel.
Specifically, the fan rotors produce just 56 decibels of noise during operation. Unlike the ZLINE KB, this product is an under-cabinet range hood, meaning it’s perfect for a hob with cupboards over the top. The Cosmo hood is extremely space-efficient and is usable with a wide range of kitchen designs. It also comes in two sizes, making it even easier to install in your kitchen.
The hood doesn’t have to be mounted under a cabinet either – it can also be attached directly to the wall. Cosmo has clearly designed this product to be as versatile as possible, which is one of the things we love most about it.
This range hood comes with three different speed settings. The device only reaches 56dB in the fastest setting, so you can have it running even quieter if you want. The slower speeds still offer plenty of suction for a standard cooking session too.
For this product, Cosmo has made use of an efficient multi-layered filtration system. The reusable aluminum mesh filters trap oil and grease with ease. Cleaning the filters is also super straightforward and relatively mess-free.
|Sizes||30, 36 in|
- Value for money – Cosmo believes in providing its customers with the best quality for the best price; that’s why the Cosmo hood is built with cutting-edge technology that you won’t find anywhere else for less.
- Space-saving – The one place you want an efficient range hood is in a small space like an apartment; that’s why the Cosmo is made with a slim space-saving design that effortlessly vents small spaces.
- Efficiency – The Cosmo hood benefits from a 3-speed motor that reduces the loudness of the fan and creates a more pleasant environment to cook in. The Cosmo hood is quieter than competing hoods.
- Installation – This range hood is slim and convenient, and it’s also efficient. However, installation can be an issue due to the pre-drilled holes. Some DIY experience is necessary to install this range hood.
- Less powerful – This unit maxes out at 200 CFM, which makes it the weakest on the list.
3. Most Powerful – IKTCH Wall Mount Range Hood
If you want to be sure that your range hood will be able to deal with thick fumes and smoke, then picking up this wall-mounted range hood from IKTCH might be your best bet. Boasting an incredibly powerful fan, the IKTCH Wall Mount Range Hood can suck up anything in a matter of seconds.
To be precise, the IKTCH device has a staggering maximum power of 900 CFM. This is easily the most powerful option on this list. To accommodate this power, the footprint of the hood had to be fairly large. For this reason, the hood is only really suitable for kitchens with lots of space above the hob.
What’s super impressive about this product is that it can reach these high powers without ever sounding like it’s about to take off. In fact, the device never produces more than 65dB of noise, even when it’s turned up to 11. IKTCH has made sure that their product fits comfortably into the “ultra-quiet range hood” category.
|Sizes||30, 36 in|
- Class-leading power: Many manufacturers sacrifice power to get their products into the “ultra-quiet range hoods” category, but that’s definitely not the case here.
- Beautiful finish: This range hood looks and feels great. The aesthetics of a hood are definitely something to consider when making up your mind.
- Impressive noise output at high powers: Even when the device is operating at its capacity, the noise levels never get out of control.
- Large footprint: This stainless steel hood definitely isn’t the most compact – only suitable for kitchens with space for a large wall mount range hood.
4. Best Wall Mount – ZLINE KB Range Hood
The KB Range Hood from ZLINE is easily the best quiet kitchen exhaust fan that money can buy. We had absolutely no problem giving it our “Best Wall Mount” rating in this list, thanks to its exceptional performance, sleek design, and versatile nature.
Putting out just 56 decibels (dB) of noise during operation, the ZLINE KB certainly fits the “ultra-quiet” requirement – this is one of the lowest range hood noise levels. In fact, it’s easy to forget that the range hood is even switched on when you’re working in the kitchen.
Although the KB’s 400 CFM (cubic feet per minute) power rating is beaten out by some other products on this list, it’s still enough to provide impressive suction. Any lingering fumes and odors are eliminated in a heartbeat when the device works its magic.
If you’re in the market for a powerful, no-nonsense range hood that you can rely on, then you might not do any better than the ZLINE KB. Even though the price tag is fairly hefty, we’d say it’s fair considering the quality of craftsmanship and performance that the device demonstrates.
|Sizes||30, 36, 42, 48 in|
- Modern design – The KB’s modern, sleek looks allow it to blend in seamlessly with a variety of kitchen designs.
- Quiet performance – You won’t get distracted by the 56dB that the device puts out during operation.
- Easy install – Straightforward design means the KB is super easy to get up and running. With plenty of sizing options available it’s easy to find the right fit.
- Quite pricey – It’s definitely not the most affordable range hood out there, but the ZLINE KB still offers decent value for money considering just how good it is.
5. Most Balanced – BV Stainless Range Hood
The BV stainless range hood is slimline, high-quality, and affordable; it also makes the cut when it comes to noise reduction. If you want a range hood that’s easy to use, easy to clean, and doesn’t deafen you while you stir the pasta, then this product could be the one for you.
As an under-cabinet range hood, the BV device is extremely versatile and can be installed in practically any kitchen. Finding a range hood for tight spaces can be difficult, but the BV offers a super easy and convenient solution.
In terms of performance, the BV hood competes with the very best products on this list. It can produce an airflow of 750 CFM, which is certainly impressive. Even when the device is cranked to its maximum power, it only produces 56dB of noise – the BV hood definitely qualifies for “ultra-quiet” categorization.
Baffle filters are unique because they force the air to rapidly change direction. Grease droplets move slower so they end up dropping down into the filter.
With multiple fan speeds and built-in lighting, the BV hood adds a range of functionality to your kitchen.
|BV Stainless Hood|
|Sizes||30, 36 in|
- Airflow – This slimline design has a duel motor that effectively cleans cooking smoke and grease from the kitchen and vents it to the outside. You can use it while cooking or after cooking to air the kitchen.
- Features – Lighting is essential in the kitchen, it’s important for cooking and prep-work, but many hoods don’t provide adequate lighting. The BV range hood uses energy-saving LED lights.
- Design – The BV range hood is a slimline design made from stainless steel; it works well in different sizes and styles of kitchens. In addition, stainless steel is easy to maintain and lasts for 15-20 years.
- Performance – Although the BV range hood looks the part and provides a user-friendly service, it can need cleaning quite often. Expect grease and oil to accumulate relatively quickly.
6. Great Value – Empava Under Cabinet Ducted Range Hood
The next option on our list of the quietest kitchen exhaust fans is Empava’s under-cabinet range hood. This ducted hood is best for kitchens with a duct pre-installed, meaning it might not be suitable for everyone. However, if you can get it to work with your kitchen then this Empava device offers fantastic value for money.
Perhaps the best thing about this range hood is just how easy it is to use. It features ergonomic buttons on the front of the body that are designed to make controlling the device as straightforward as possible. The fan is super responsive and powers on and off immediately at the touch of a button.
The stainless steel baffle filters included with the Empava range hood are also great. They’re fully reusable and are easy to install. The quality of the dishwasher-safe baffle filters is reflected across the device, with plenty of premium materials on show.
This Empava product is clearly one of the best range hoods on the market today for the money. The sheer amount of quality and the number of features on offer here have made this hood a solid option that should definitely be under your consideration.
- Fantastic value for money – The price-to-features ratio is stacked in the favor of the consumer.
- Easy to use – Ergonomic and responsive buttons allow for quick control over the fan speeds and LED lighting.
- Slimline – With a sleek design and simple mounting system, the range hood can be installed in any type of kitchen.
- Needs a duct – No ductless option with this range hood.
7. Best Island Range Hood – ZLINE GL Range Hood
The Zline convertible vent island range hood is perfect for larger kitchens, industrial kitchens, and island-style ovens. The Zline GL Range Hood has excellent ventilation owing to its 4-speed fan and chimney-style vent; it is also designed to be exceptionally easy to use and delivers excellent noise reduction.
If you’re after a super-high quality, luxurious range hood that will last a lifetime, then the GL could well be the one for you. Of course, you’ll have to pay for the privilege of owning one but it’s definitely a justifiable investment if you’ve got the funds. Island range hoods are much more popular if you’re building a luxury custom home.
Another cool aspect of the ZLINE GL is that it can be configured in either a ducted or ductless setup. If you have a vent already built into your kitchen, then you can easily hook the GL up to it. Alternatively, you can fit a carbon filter kit to the hood to make it fully ductless.
The range hood comes with 4 preset fan speeds, ranging from 120 to 400 CFM. These aren’t the most impressive power statistics we’ve seen, but the benefit is that the fan barely pushes over 50dB during operation.
- Ventilation – If you have a larger kitchen or need a range hood for an island kitchen, you need the Zline. The Zline provides excellent ventilation for extraction or recirculation; you choose the setting.
- User experience – When you’re working in a busy kitchen, you want a range hood that provides easy settings and is functional; the Zline uses push-button controls to toggle between fan speed and lighting.
- Noise-reduction – The Zline offers power and performance; on its highest setting, it removes large quantities of air from the cooking area while maintaining a relatively quiet environment of 52 decibels.
- Installation – Although anyone with DIY capabilities can install this quiet vent hood, it’s recommended that it’s professionally installed to avoid issues with ventilation and missing parts.
Range Hood Sizes
Range hoods come in a variety of sizes. If you buy the wrong one, then it won’t fit in your kitchen so it’s critical to get the right size.
The most common range hood sizes are 30 and 36 inches, but some can get up to 42 or even 48 inches.
|Model||30 in||36 in||42 in||48 in|
|BV Range Hood||√||√|
|ZLINE GL 14i-30||√|
|Awoco 11-3/4″D Super Quiet||√||√|
Buyer’s Guide: How to Pick the Best Quiet Vent Hood for your Kitchen
There are a few factors that you need to think about before buying a quiet range hood.
- Power (CFM)
- Noise level (Decibels or sones)
- Filter types
Noise level (decibels)
If you’re trying to find the best quiet range hood, then your noise level is going to be the most important factor. Range hoods are usually measured in decibels, but sometimes you’ll see one that is measured in sones.
We went ahead and converted them all to decibels so we can compare apples to apples. These are the different range hood sound levels.
As you can see, the Kobe Brillia is the quietest range hood on our list. It comes in at an impressively low 40 decibels. It’s 25% lower than the average quiet range hood. It has adjustable settings that allow you to ramp up the power if you ever need it.
In our opinion, anything under 65 decibels is considered a quiet range hood.
The more powerful your range hood, the better it will suck out dirty air while you’re cooking. If you’ve ever been in a kitchen where the range hood doesn’t actually do its job–that’s probably because it’s a weak range hood.
Power = getting the job done.
The “power factor” is measured in CFM, which is the cubic feet per minute of air that the hood will suck out of your kitchen. The higher the CFM, the more air it can pull and the cleaner your kitchen will be.
Here’s a breakdown of each unit we reviewed and what their CFMs are.
As you can see, the IKTCH is the most powerful quiet range hood on our list with 900 CFM. It comes in just at 65 decibels so it’s also the loudest on this list.
The tricky part though is that the more powerful your range hood, the louder it tends to be. Power and noise level are correlated.
The Awoco might be the most balanced at 800 CFM with only 40-50 decibels.
As your CFMs go up, so do your decibels.
The key is to buy a range hood that has various power levels. The ZLINE KB is a great option on our list because it has 4 settings.
This means that when you’re home by yourself or cooking a meal with lots of smoke, you can crank it up to full speed.
But when you have friends over or want to run it on the quietest setting, you can have it humming along in the background.
Most range hoods require filters that actually filter the air that gets sucked into the range hood. This is how the air actually gets cleaned out.
If you’re buying a ductless hood, then the quality and effectiveness of the filter is extremely important. Some ductless hoods will have multiple filters to best purify the air.
There are several different kinds of filters.
- Baffle Filters – Very popular because they do the best job filtering out cooking grease without being clogged up. They don’t need to be cleaned as often and they minimize risk of fire.
- Mesh filters – Typically made of metal such as carbon or magnesium.
- Charcoal filters – Not reusable so they have to be replaced each time. They are effective at filtering out grease and other particles.
- Aluminum filters – Tend to be less expensive and easier to clean because many kinds are dishwasher safe. These are reusable!
- Stainless steel – More durable and rust-resistant.
Here’s a helpful guide by the Hauslane brand: How to clean a range hood filter
Common Questions About Quiet Range Hoods
What is considered a quiet range hood?
After researching 40+ products, we found that 1-3 sones or under 65 decibels was considered a quiet range hood.
How does CFM affect range hood noise?
The higher the CFM the louder your range hood will be. The relationship between power and noise level is highly correlated. Many range hoods come with multiple settings to give you options.
How often should I clean a range hood filter?
You should clean or change out your range hood filter every 3 months if you cook daily or with a lot of grease. If you cook less often or do most of your cooking on a grill outside, then you should clean your filter at least once a year.
Final Verdict: Which of the Quietest Range Hoods is Best for You?
Choosing the best quiet kitchen exhaust fan doesn’t need to be a difficult choice when you’ve got the research to look at.
I couldn’t be more confident with our final selections:
- Overall best quiet range hood: KOBE Brillia. It has the best blender of power, sound level, and affordability.
- Quietest range hood on a budget: Cosmo COS-5MU30. If you’re tight on funds, but need a new range hood–this is our go-to option. You won’t find a cheaper option that’s this high of quality.
Richmond Howard started Meal Prepify in 2019 and has helped over a million people learn how to meal prep, get better at meal planning, and create a kitchen they love to use. He’s an avid home chef and loves to bbq, grill out, and make awesome food for family and friends. He’s been featured on MSN, Renaissance Periodization, and Good Financial Cents.