This article may contain links from our affiliate partners. Please read how we make money!
Finding the best quiet range hood for your kitchen is a huge decision. Range hoods are expensive and last forever so whatever you buy, you’re going to be stuck with. I know that range hoods can be loud and make it impossible to have a conversation while you’re cooking.
Here are the 4 main criteria I used to pick the best quiet range hood for you:
- Noise (decibels)
- Power (CFM)
- Other things I made note of: Size and installation type
- The Best Quiet Range Hoods Reviewed in this Guide
- The Quietest Kitchen Range Hoods
- 1. Quietest Hood- KOBE Brillia Under-Cabinet Range Hood
- 2. Most Affordable – Cosmo Under Cabinet Range Hood
- 3. Most Powerful – IKTCH Wall Mount Range Hood
- 4. Best Wall Mount – ZLINE KB
- 5. Most Balanced – BV Stainless Range Hood
- 6. Great Value – Empava Under Cabinet Ducted Range Hood
- 7. Best Island Range Hood – ZLINE GL Range Hood
- Buyer’s Guide: How to Pick the Best Quiet Range Hood for Your Kitchen
- How to Install Your Hood
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Final Verdict: Which of the Quietest Range Hoods Is Best for You?
The Best Quiet Range Hoods Reviewed in this Guide
If you’re in a hurry, here are the two options:
- Overall best silent hood: KOBE Brillia. This is the best hood for the price. It has the absolute lowest sound level with 40 decibels, while still retaining power and efficiency. The stainless steel finish gives it a sleek look. It also has 3 different speed settings and the best filters on the market.
- Quietest hood on a budget: Cosmo COS-5MU30. If you’re tight on funds, but need a new hood–this is my go to option.
The Quietest Kitchen Range Hoods
1. Quietest Hood- KOBE Brillia Under-Cabinet Range Hood
This list is all about the quietest range hoods, which meant I just had to include KOBE’s excellent Brillia under-cabinet device. The Brillia dominates the competition in terms of noise production and is able to operate at just 40 decibels. The noise output does rise slightly with faster fan speeds, but it will always sit below the 50dB mark.
In the power department, the Brillia device can be cranked all the way up to 680 CFM. This is pretty impressive performance for a slimline under-cabinet hood. You shouldn’t have any problems clearing out fumes from your kitchen with this kind of power.
The KOBE hood comes in a standard 30-inch size and a larger 36-inch variation. Both of them are extremely easy to mount and install and are compatible with many different kitchen types. Even those short on space around their hob should be able to fit a KOBE Brillia in with ease.
The hood has two bright LED lights built in to illuminate the area below. It’s always great to have a well-lit space while you’re cooking and the Brillia definitely makes sure that’s the case. The LED controls sit next to the three different fan speed settings that you can choose from.
The majority of the device is constructed from highly durable stainless steel that feels like it could last a lifetime. The pairing of these materials with top-notch craftsmanship results in a super reliable hood.
Overall, this ultra-quiet hood is yet another product that I highly recommend. If low noise levels are a priority for you, then the KOBE Brillia could well be the best choice on the market for you. It’s also one of the best examples from the under-cabinet range hoods category and great for kitchens with little space to spare.
- Powerful: 680 CFM is an impressive power statistic for an under-cabinet hood. Competes with some of the much larger quiet range hoods on the market.
- Exceptional build quality: With great materials and even better craftsmanship, the Brillia feels like a premium product.
- Easy to use controls: LED lights and fan settings can be adjusted with the tap of a button.
- Gets louder at higher speeds: Although the device never goes above 50dB, it can’t maintain the ultra-quiet 40dB across all fan speeds.
- Durable 18-gauge commercial grade stainless steel
- 3-speed mechanical push button with QuietMode, low, and high
- 680 CFM at maximum power
2. Most Affordable – Cosmo Under Cabinet Range Hood
The Cosmo combines performance with compactness making it perhaps the best quiet range hood. Usually, a performance hood needs a larger casing to contain a more powerful motor, but not the Cosmo Under Cabinet Range Hood. This hood is super-quiet, slimline, and highly efficient – it’s also made from quality steel.
Specifically, the fan rotors produce just 56 decibels of noise during operation. Unlike the ZLINE KB, this product is an under-cabinet range hood, meaning it’s perfect for a hob with cupboards over the top. The Cosmo hood is extremely space-efficient and is usable with a wide range of kitchen designs. It also comes in two sizes, making it even easier to install in your kitchen.
The hood doesn’t have to be mounted under a cabinet either – it can also be attached directly to the wall. Cosmo has clearly designed this product to be as versatile as possible, which is one of the things I love most about it.
This comes with three different speed settings. The device only reaches 56dB in the fastest setting, so you can have it running even quieter if you want. The slower speeds still offer plenty of suction for a standard cooking session too.
For this product, Cosmo has made use of an efficient multi-layered filtration system. The reusable aluminum mesh filters trap oil and grease with ease. Cleaning the filters is also super straightforward and relatively mess-free.
- Value for money – Cosmo believes in providing its customers with the best quality for the best price; that’s why the Cosmo hood is built with cutting-edge technology that you won’t find anywhere else for less.
- Space-saving – The one place you want an efficient hood is in a small space like an apartment; that’s why the Cosmo is made with a slim space-saving design that effortlessly vents small spaces.
- Efficiency – The Cosmo hood benefits from a 3-speed motor that reduces the loudness of the fan and creates a more pleasant environment to cook in. The Cosmo hood is quieter than competing hoods.
- Installation – This hood is slim and convenient, and it’s also efficient. However, installation can be an issue due to the pre-drilled holes. Some DIY experience is necessary to install this hood.
- Less powerful – This unit maxes out at 200 CFM, which makes it the weakest on the list.
- Slim profile saves space.
- 3-speed motor
- Durable reusable aluminum mesh filters
3. Most Powerful – IKTCH Wall Mount Range Hood
If you want to be sure that your hood will be able to deal with thick fumes and smoke, then picking up this wall-mounted range hood from IKTCH might be your best bet. Boasting an incredibly powerful fan, the IKTCH Wall Mount Range Hood can suck up anything in a matter of seconds.
To be precise, the IKTCH device has a staggering maximum power of 900 CFM. This is easily the most powerful option on this list. To accommodate this power, the footprint of the hood had to be fairly large. For this reason, the hood is only really suitable for kitchens with lots of space above the hob.
What’s super impressive about this product is that it can reach these high powers without ever sounding like it’s about to take off. In fact, the device never produces more than 65dB of noise, even when it’s turned up to 11. IKTCH has made sure that their product fits comfortably into the “ultra-quiet range hood” category.
- Class-leading power: Many manufacturers sacrifice power to get their products into the quietest range hoods category, but that’s definitely not the case here.
- Beautiful finish: This hood looks and feels great. The aesthetics of a hood are definitely something to consider when making up your mind.
- Impressive noise output at high powers: Even when the device is operating at its capacity, the noise levels never get out of control.
- Large footprint: This stainless steel hood definitely isn’t the most compact – only suitable for kitchens with space for a large wall mount range hood.
- 900 CFM Powerful Suction, 0 Residue of Fumes
- Bright Kitchen Nightlight, Wide Vision for Cooking
- Permanent Filter Plate
4. Best Wall Mount – ZLINE KB
The KB Range Hood from ZLINE is easily the best quiet range hood and kitchen exhaust fan that money can buy. I had absolutely no problem giving it my “Best Wall Mount” rating in this list, thanks to its exceptional performance, sleek design, and versatile nature.
Putting out just 56 decibels (dB) of noise during operation, the ZLINE KB certainly fits the “ultra-quiet” requirement – this is one of the lowest noise levels. In fact, it’s easy to forget that the hood is even switched on when you’re working in the kitchen.
Although the KB’s 400 CFM (cubic feet per minute) power rating is beaten out by some other products on this list, it’s still enough to provide impressive suction. Any lingering fumes and odors are eliminated in a heartbeat when the device works its magic.
If you’re in the market for a powerful, no-nonsense hood that you can rely on, then you might not do any better than the ZLINE KB. Even though the price tag is fairly hefty, I’d say it’s fair considering the quality of craftsmanship and performance that the device demonstrates.
- Modern design – The KB’s modern, sleek looks allow it to blend in seamlessly with a variety of kitchen designs.
- Quiet range hood performance – You won’t get distracted by the 56dB that the device puts out during operation.
- Easy install – Straightforward design means the KB is super easy to get up and running. With plenty of sizing options available it’s easy to find the right fit.
- Quite pricey – It’s definitely not the most affordable hood out there, but the ZLINE KB still offers decent value for money considering just how good it is.
- Delayed shutoff – Auto shut off timer is limited to 3 minutes
- 400 CFM 4-Speed Motor with Timer/Auto-Shut-Off
- High Quality Stainless Steel design
- Dishwasher-safe Baffle Filters
5. Most Balanced – BV Stainless Range Hood
The BV stainless range hood is slimline, high-quality, and affordable; it also makes the cut when it comes to noise reduction. If you want a hood that’s easy to use, easy to clean, and doesn’t deafen you while you stir the pasta, then this product could be the one for you.
In terms of performance, the BV hood competes with the very best products on this list. It can produce an airflow of 750 CFM, which is certainly impressive. Even when the device is cranked to its maximum power, it only produces 56dB of noise – the BV hood definitely qualifies for “ultra-quiet” categorization.
Stainless steel baffle filters are unique because they force the air to rapidly change direction. Grease droplets move slower so they end up dropping down into the filter.
With multiple options for fan speed and built-in lighting, the BV hood adds a range of functionality to your kitchen.
- Airflow – This slimline design has a duel motor that effectively cleans cooking smoke and grease from the kitchen and vents it to the outside. You can use it while cooking or after cooking to air the kitchen.
- Features – Lighting is essential in the kitchen, it’s important for cooking and prep-work, but many hoods don’t provide adequate lighting. The BV hood uses energy-saving LED lights.
- Design – The BV hood is a slimline design made from stainless steel; it works well in different sizes and styles of kitchens. In addition, stainless steel is easy to maintain and lasts for 15-20 years.
- Performance – Although the BV hood looks the part and provides a user-friendly service, it can need cleaning quite often. Expect grease and oil to accumulate relatively quickly.
- Greatly Reduces Cooking Smoke and Grease
- Provide Extra Lighting Aids in Prep Safety
- Easy-to-Clean and Dishwasher Safe Baffle Filters
6. Great Value – Empava Under Cabinet Ducted Range Hood
The next option on our list of the lowest-noise range hood and kitchen exhaust fans is Empava’s under-cabinet range hood. This ducted hood is best for kitchens with a duct pre-installed, meaning it might not be suitable for everyone. However, if you can get it to work with your kitchen then this Empava device offers fantastic value for money.
The chromium steel baffle filters included with the Empava are also great. They’re fully reusable and are easy to install. The quality of the dishwasher-safe baffle filters is reflected across the device, with plenty of premium materials on show.
This Empava product is clearly one of the best hoods on the market today for the money. The sheer amount of quality and the number of features on offer here have made this hood a solid option that should definitely be under your consideration.
- Fantastic value for money – The price-to-features ratio is stacked in the favor of the consumer.
- Easy to use – Ergonomic and responsive buttons allow for quick control over the fan speeds and LED lighting.
- Slimline – With a sleek design and simple mounting system, the range hood can be installed in any type of kitchen.
- Needs a duct – No ductless option with this range hood.
- Featuring 500 CFM Airflow
- Constructed with 18-Gauge Stainless Steel
- Handcrafted Brushed Satin Finish
7. Best Island Range Hood – ZLINE GL Range Hood
The Zline convertible vent island range hood is perfect for larger kitchens, industrial kitchens, and island-style ovens. The Zline GL Range Hood has excellent ventilation owing to its 4-speed fan and chimney-style vent; it is also designed to be exceptionally easy to use and delivers excellent noise reduction.
If you’re after a super-high quality, luxurious range hood that will last a lifetime, then the GL could well be the one for you. Of course, you’ll have to pay for the privilege of owning one but it’s definitely a justifiable investment if you’ve got the funds. Island hoods are much more popular if you’re building a luxury custom home.
Another cool aspect of the ZLINE GL is that it can be configured in either a ducted or ductless setup. If you have a vent already built into your kitchen, then you can easily hook the GL up to it. Alternatively, you can fit a carbon filter kit to the hood to make it fully ductless.
The range hood comes with 4 preset options for fan speed, ranging from 120 to 400 CFM. These aren’t the most impressive power statistics we’ve seen, but the benefit is that the fan barely pushes over 50dB during operation.
- Ventilation – If you have a larger kitchen or need a range hood for an island kitchen, you need the Zline. The Zline provides excellent ventilation for extraction or recirculation; you choose the setting.
- User experience – When you’re working in a busy kitchen, you want a range hood that provides easy settings and is functional; the Zline uses push-button controls to toggle between fan speed and lighting.
- Noise-reduction – The Zline offers power and performance; on its highest setting, it removes large quantities of air from the cooking area while maintaining a relatively quiet environment of 52 decibels.
- Installation – Although anyone with DIY capabilities can install one of the quietest range hood, it’s recommended that it’s professionally installed to avoid issues with ventilation and missing parts.
Buyer’s Guide: How to Pick the Best Quiet Range Hood for Your Kitchen
There are a few factors that you need to think about before buying the quietest range hood.
|KOBE Brillia||40-50||680||Under Cabinet|
|Cosmo COS-5MU||56||200||Under Cabinet|
|ZLINE KB||56||400||Wall Mount|
|BV Hood||56||750||Under Cabinet|
|ZLINE GL 14i-30||41||400||Island|
Noise Level (Decibels)
If you’re trying to find the quietest range hood, then your noise level is going to be the most important factor. Hoods are usually measured in decibels, but sometimes you’ll see one that is measured in sones.
I went ahead and converted them all to decibels so I can compare apples to apples. These are the different range hood sound levels.
As you can see, the Kobe Brillia is the quietest range hood on my list. It comes in at an impressively low 40 decibels. It’s 25% lower than the average quiet range hood. It has adjustable settings that allow you to ramp up the power if you ever need it.
In my opinion, anything under 65 decibels is considered the quietest range hood.
The “power factor” is measured in CFM, which is the cubic feet per minute of air that the hood will suck out of your kitchen. The higher the CFM, the more air it can pull and the cleaner your kitchen will be.
Here’s a breakdown of each unit I reviewed and what their CFMs are.
As you can see, the IKTCH is the most powerful quiet range hood on my list with 900 CFM. It comes in just at 65 decibels so it’s also the loudest on this list. The Awoco might be the most balanced at 800 CFM with only 40-50 decibels.
As your CFMs go up, so do your decibels.
The key is to buy a model that has various power levels. The ZLINE KB is a great option on my list because it has 4 settings.
If you’re buying a ductless hood, then the quality and effectiveness of the filter is extremely important. Some ductless hoods will have multiple filters to best purify the air.
There are several different kinds of filters.
- Baffle Filters – Very popular because they do the best job filtering out cooking grease without being clogged up. They don’t need to be cleaned as often and they minimize risk of fire.
- Mesh filters – Typically made of metal such as carbon or magnesium.
- Charcoal filters – Not reusable so they have to be replaced each time. They are effective at filtering out grease and other particles.
- Aluminum filters – Tend to be less expensive and easier to clean because many kinds are dishwasher safe. These are reusable!
- Corrosion resistant steel – More durable and rust-resistant.
How to Install Your Hood
If you feel comfortable installing your own range hood in your kitchen, there are a couple of steps you must follow in order to ensure it functions well.
Choose the best spot to install your range hood, ideally, it should be above your cooking area. Ensure there is plenty of room to fit it correctly. Prepare the area where you plan to install the range by cleaning and removing any clutter. You can also remove your old hood or cabinet in order to create space for the new one. Remember that your hood and cooktop should approximately be of the same width.
Before mounting, read and follow the manufacturer’s guidelines that came with your product. You may be required to use brackets or screws to safely secure the range hood to whatever surface you are attaching it to. Mount the hood securely to the wall or cabinet using screws or brackets. Make sure it’s the correct way up by using a level.
For a hood that requires power, connect its wires while observing your local electrical codes and safety requirements. If you don’t feel like handling electrical work, you can always hire a qualified electrician to do it for you. If your range hood discharges air outside, you’ll need to install the correct size ductwork for your product to perform optimally.
Once that’s done, turn on your range hood’s fan’s to test it. Ensure everything is running smoothly and there are no defects, such as unusual noises or vibrations. Keep in mind that each hood’s specifications is different from the other, and many options come with their own manufacturer installation videos.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is Considered a Quiet Range Hood?
After researching 40+ products, I found that 1-3 sones or under 65 decibels was considered a quiet range hood.
How Does CFM Affect Range Hood Noise?
The higher the CFM the louder your range hood will be. The relationship between power and noise level is highly correlated. Many hoods come with multiple settings to give you options.
How Often Should I Clean a Range Hood Filter?
You should clean or change out your range hood filter every 3 months if you cook daily or with a lot of grease. If you cook less often or do most of your cooking on a grill outside, then you should clean your filter at least once a year.
Final Verdict: Which of the Quietest Range Hoods Is Best for You?
I couldn’t be more confident with my final quietest range hoods:
- Overall best quiet range hood: KOBE Brillia. It has the best blender of power, sound level, and affordability.
- Quietest range hood on a budget: Cosmo COS-5MU30. If you’re tight on funds, but need a new range hood–this is my go-to option. You won’t find a cheaper option that’s this high of quality.
Richmond Howard started Meal Prepify in 2019 and has helped over a million people learn how to meal prep, get better at meal planning, and create a kitchen they love to use. He’s an avid home chef and loves to bbq, grill out, and make awesome food for family and friends. He’s been featured on MSN, Renaissance Periodization, and Good Financial Cents.