This article may contain links from our affiliate partners. Please read how we make money!
Granite composite sinks are the way to go if you want a strong and durable kitchen sink. Mostly this type of kitchen sink is not common or popular like their competition of stainless sinks or ceramic sinks. Understanding the Pros And Cons Of Granite Composite Sinks will help you in deciding if they are worth it.
Having a granite composite kitchen sink makes the kitchen beautiful as mostly the way they rhyme with countertop materials. In this article, we highlight the pros and cons of granite composite sinks and determine the worth.
A granite composite is a mixer of around 80% of granite stone and 20% of acrylic resin. You can find granite kitchen sinks in a variety of natural colors which are commonly grey, charcoal black and brown.
One thing to keep in mind is that granite composite sinks are pricey and if you are considering buying one, then it’s an investment in a quality kitchen sink. The sinks are available in matte finishes which sometimes can be a limitation to a variety of finishes.
This article will guide on the advantages of granite composite sinks and their disadvantages. By clearly understanding the benefits of the sinks, it will help you make an informed decision.
Are composite granite sinks any good?
Due to their strong construction, the granite composite sinks can handle any heat from the cookware on their surfaces. If you like a natural look and a stylish kitchen sink, the granite composite can be of a great fit.
Most of the granite sinks found on the market are composite and not natural except sinks from Barclay. There are different sizes, colors, shapes, and configurations to choose from ranging from different prices.
By look alone, these make a great option for an aesthetically pleasing farmhouse sink option, where basin-style sinks are a very common look.
They are formed under high heat and are naturally non-porous and hygienic as a result, so they’re durable and easy to clean. Some lower end options are less durable, so make sure to research the specific brand you’re considering before investing.
Do granite composite sinks crack easily?
You’re not likely to see your sink just develop a long split down the middle, but it IS possible to chip these sinks if you’re not careful especially with heavier cookware like cast iron.
While these sinks ARE heat resistant, it’s also possible that excessive heat and hot water exposure at once can overwhelm the material and cause a crack but this is pretty uncommon. Don’t take a pot of boiling water off the stove and put it directly in the sink while the bubbles are still rolling, and you’ll probably be fine.
Do composite sinks stain?
They can show discoloration/water stains if you have quite hard water, but generally speaking these sinks are quite stain-resistant, just like stainless steel sinks. You may see more discoloration over time in a white/light composite sink versus a dark/black one.
Pros And Cons Of Granite Composite Sinks
- Durable and long-lasting – Their material makes them a high resistant kitchen sinks to endure pressure, chipping, scratches, heat. The strength they possess to ensure durability and flawless functionality.
- Reasonably priced – Granite composite sinks are affordable because they are a mixture of granite and acrylic resin. Natural stone is more expensive than composite sinks.
- Scratch and chip-resistant – Granite is a very hard stone that gives the granite composite sinks resistant ability to scratches and chipping.
- Cleaning doesn’t require chemicals – To clean the granite sink is very easy because of the smooth finish they possess. Unless there are too many stains, you can use special stone soaps or natural vinegar to remove stains.
- Every piece is unique/Uniformity – Regardless of the shape or size of granite composite sink you choose, they bring a special uniqueness in the kitchen. If you like consistency in the kitchen countertop, granite composite sinks are mostly uniform.
- Resistant to heat, scratching, and stains – These granite sinks can resist up to over 530 degrees Fahrenheit heat. The color doesn’t fade even after a long time because it maintains the same natural look and texture.
- Only available in matte finishes – Granite composite sinks process of manufacturing limits the finishes only producing matte.
- The price may be expensive – It may be considered expensive depending on the type of stone used to manufacture but granite composite sinks are cheaper than full stone. Compared to ceramic and stainless steel kitchen sinks, composite sinks are still upfront expensive.
- Bulky – Due to the stone material, the composite sinks are very heavy which requires extra professional installation costs and support systems. You may also require annual sealing.
Maintenance and care of Granite composite sink
Just like the other kitchen fixtures, the granite composite sinks are no different because they require some maintenance for long-lasting. They may be hard and resistant but if not well maintained they can have a short span in the kitchen. These steps help in keeping the sink functional;
- Make sure to wash the sink daily with a nylon brush and gentle soap after every use.
- Rinse the sink and dry it with a soft cloth after use to prevent stains and deposits.
- Avoid the use of abrasive cleaning tools or solutions/chemicals.
- Make use of natural cleaning agents regularly like vinegar, and baking soda for stubborn spots.
How do you get scratches out of a granite composite sink?
You can give a simple home remedy a try to see if you can get the scratches out. Give the sink a good wash with mild dish soap and water. Mix baking soda and water in a 1:1 ratio and thoroughly coat the sink with it. Let it sit overnight and then rinse/wash it off in the morning, then buff it dry.
If the scratches are still there after that, you’ll want to look into getting the sink re-sealed to keep it non-porous.
How do you fix a cracked granite composite sink?
This requires working with an epoxy mix and is not recommended if you have no experience with that. Call a plumber or the place you purchased the sink from to get a recommendation for someone who can repair it for you.
Do I need to seal my granite composite sink?
Unlike granite countertops, that DO require regular sealing to keep in the best condition, granite composite sinks do NOT require regular sealing to maintain their appearance and durability.
Granite sink brands
When looking to buy a granite composite sink or any other kitchen product is good to know the top brands manufacturing the best quality. The most reputable brands associated with granite sinks are the Blanco and Barclay.
Blanco is mainly known to produce the best granite composite sinks like silgranit rock hard sinks while Barclay produces natural granite sinks.
Investing in a granite composite sink for your kitchen is the right thing to do especially if planning to stay for a long time. Granite composite sinks are durable to function without regular kitchen sink replacements.
With these kitchen sinks, you get natural beauty, strength and durable kitchen sink worth the price. Granite composite sinks pros are a good example of how a quality kitchen sink should be.