This article may contain links from our affiliate partners. Please read how we make money!
If you are looking for a stress-free way to make chocolate at home, then you need a chocolate tempering machine. My longtime experience owning a confectionery taught me the value of having the right appliance. That’s why I’ve compiled a list of the nine best chocolate tempering machines for you to pick from.
- Here Are the 3 Main Criteria I Used to Find the Best Chocolate-Melting Machine:
- 9 Best Chocolate Tempering Machines
- The 9 Best Chocolate Melting Machines
- 1. Best Overall – Cuisinart CFO-3SS Electric Fondue Maker
- 2. Best Value – Nostalgia FPS200 Electric Fondue Pot
- 3. Best Commercial-Grade – ChocoVision Revolation Delta
- 4. Best Mid-Size Machine – Huanyu Commercial Tempering Machine
- 5. Most Capacity – Hilliard’s Chocolate Tempering Machine
- 6. Best for Advanced Users – ALDKitchen Double Chocolate Melting Pot
- 7. Easiest Chocolate Melting Machine to Use – NutriChef Chocolate Warming Fondue Set
- 8. Best Portable – Dyna-Living Chocolate Melting Pot
- 9. Best Child-Friendly – VonShef Electric Fondue Pot
- Buyer’s Guide
- How to Use a Chocolate Tempering Machine
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Final Verdict: Which Chocolate Tempering Machine is Right for You?
Here Are the 3 Main Criteria I Used to Find the Best Chocolate-Melting Machine:
- Overall Quality
You can scroll down to my buyer’s guide to see why these criteria matter.
The best chocolate tempering machines will be easy to use and have temperature controls to vary up how you make your chocolate. Other factors to consider are capacity/size, how often you plan to use it, and price.
That’s why my top two picks are:
- Highest rated: Cuisinart CFO-3SS. If you’re tight on funds, but need a new chocolate melting machine-this is a great choice. It has 7000 reviews on Amazon with an average of 5 stars. For only $80, it’s a great deal.
- Best value: Nostalgia FPS200. The Nostalgia tempering machine is incredibly highly rated as well, but will come it at under $50. It’s definitely the best value pick and is the #1 best seller for chocolate fondue sets on Amazon.
I know how frustrating it can be to research products online. Our goal is that you never have to return a product that I recommend because it’s exactly what you wanted.
9 Best Chocolate Tempering Machines
Here’s a quick overview showing all of my top picks and the factors I looked at in my research. You can click through on any model to check out the recent price. You can also take a look at other customer’s chocolate melting machine reviews.
The 9 Best Chocolate Melting Machines
1. Best Overall – Cuisinart CFO-3SS Electric Fondue Maker
For some buyers, how your chocolate tempering machine looks and whether or not it matches your decor is incredibly important. If you can appreciate a stylish machine then consider checking out the Cuisinart CFO-3SS Electric Fondue Maker.
Although this is best used for chocolate fondue, it still offers the functionality you need to temper chocolate. The heating process can be manually controlled using the accurate temperature probe – perfect for melting all types of chocolate!
Similar to the plain and stylish steel of the Nostalgia FPS200 Electric Fondue Pot, the aesthetic of the Cuisinart CFO-3SS is neutral enough to look good alongside any kitchen decor. This is perfect for anyone who wants a tempering machine that will complement their chosen aesthetic.
Included with this fondue maker is a 6.25 lbs melting bowl, which is excellent for melting large quantities of chocolate at once. However, if this is your first time tempering chocolate stick with smaller quantities at first.
Anyone who is after a stylish-looking tempering machine may find the Cuisinart CFO-3SS Electric Fondue Maker to be exactly what they need. It doesn’t feature the bells and whistles of specialist machines like the ALDKitchen double chocolate melting pot machine, but it is perfect for melting chocolate for tempering.
- Fantastic aesthetics – If stylish looks are important to you, then you can’t go wrong with this product. The Cuisinart CFO-3SS is one of the most visually appealing fondue makers on our list.
- Very accurate temperature readings – Adjustable probe gives responsive and precise temperature readings for different kinds of recipes.
- Non-stick bowl – May sound like a small feature, but a non-stick bowl can prevent a lot of annoyance.
- Not great for commercial settings – Its 3-quart capacity is one of the smallest on our list and isn’t really designed for professional kitchens or people producing lots of tempered chocolate.
2. Best Value – Nostalgia FPS200 Electric Fondue Pot
When you don’t need all the specialist functionality included in high-end tempering machines like the ChocoVision, then a fondue pot could be just what you need. Perhaps one of the best fondue-style machines on the market is the Nostalgia FPS200 Electric Fondue Pot.
It doesn’t offer all the bonus features found on premium tempering machines, but it will offer you everything you need to dip your toes into chocolate tempering.
The manual control for temperature is fairly simple to use and offers enough variance for melting any type of chocolate you may need. It can also be used for melting a range of food items, such as cheese and sauces.
Similarly to Hilliard’s Chocolate Tempering Machine, Nostalgia has also taken durability into account when making this tempering machine. The solid stainless steel bowl has been built to last, offering corrosive resistance – It can even be placed in your dishwasher for convenient cleaning!
On either side of the bowl, you can find cool-touch handles which make shifting this large steel bowl around a lot easier. It may not add anything to the tempering process, but small additions like this can vastly improve a product.
If you’re not looking to splash out on a specialist tempering machine just yet, but you do want to give try out chocolate tempering, this is the perfect middle ground!
- Durable construction – Corrosive-resistant parts help this device stand up to a beating in the kitchen.
- Versatile – You can use this machine for melting a range of foods, not just chocolate.
- Great aesthetic – Definitely one of the coolest ways on our review to get your chocolate tempered.
- Fairly small capacity – At only 1.5 quarts (3 lbs), this product is one of the more compact ones on our review and is best for people who aren’t melting large amounts of chocolate at a time.
3. Best Commercial-Grade – ChocoVision Revolation Delta
With a massive 17 lb capacity, this ChocoVision machine is perfect for anyone working on a large scale or in a professional setting.
You can be sure that the stainless steel construction will last for years to come – which is great, because this machine isn’t cheap. In fact, compared to the likes of the Huanyu machine, you can expect to pay at least $2500 more!
That said, this hefty price tag accompanies a range of excellent features.
With the ChocoVision, you can keep your chocolate perfectly tempered for up to 18 hours – you can dip into it as and when required.
It also offers precision temperature control, unlike the VonChef fondue pot, which gives users very little control over the operating temperature.
- Easy to use – This machine’s simple design makes it super easy to use.
- Built to last – Its solid stainless steel design makes sure that its durable and will give you years of service.
- High capacity – The massive 17-pound tank (only the Hilliard’s tank is larger at 25 pounds) means you will always have enough chocolate for the dish you are making!
- Keep warm – This automatic tempering machine prevents the chocolate from burning but holds it at a steady temperature until you are ready to use it.
- Limited features – The tank is huge, but there is only one, meaning you can’t melt two different kinds of chocolate at once. Machines like the ALDKitchen Double Chocolate Melting Pot come with two tanks.
- Expensive – As a commercial-grade machine, it’s definitely one of the more costly options one our list.
4. Best Mid-Size Machine – Huanyu Commercial Tempering Machine
If you are on a strict budget and you don’t want to splash out on a premium product like the Hilliard chocolate tempering machine, then the Huanyu Commercial Tempering machine is an excellent choice.
This manual melting pot machine offers everything you could need for chocolate tempering, without costing a fortune.
This chocolate machine from Huanyu gives users the option to have 2 different chocolate flavors melting at once, with its dual-chamber layout. If having 2 tanks isn’t good enough for you, each has a 4.5-lbs capacity, meaning you can have a huge 9 lbs of chocolate tempering at once!
This means you could have semisweet, milk, and/or white chocolate melting at the same time, which you can combine once tempered. If you like the idea of making chocolate inventions featuring a dense flavor profile, this machine can help you experiment with several flavors at once! Unlike many other machines listed here such as the Cuisinart CFO-3SS, Nostalgia FPS200 and the Hilliard’s, the Huanyu has lids for each tank to both help the chocolate melt faster and stay at the correct temperature until you are ready to use it.
Huanyu has thankfully considered cleanliness when designing this impressive budget tempering machine. Its stainless steel design is incredibly easy to wipe down and the double boiler system can be removed offering you an easy way to clean chocolate residue.
If you are already familiar with the tempering process, then the manual control knob is an excellent addition to this machine. It’s not quite as beginner-friendly as an automated system, but if you know the exact temperatures needed it’s an easy-to-use system. The stainless steel build ensures that the product is sturdy and dependable, with easy-to-use controls. All you have to do is turn the dial to the correct temperature and flip the switch!
One drawback would be that it’s difficult to adjust the temperature for each individual tank, which could be an issue when using different chocolate types that melt at varying temperatures.
Finding a robust chocolate tempering machine when shopping on a budget can be a challenge. But with this budget offering from Huanyu you should be able to temper with minimal fuss and without breaking the bank!
- Accurate control knob – Manual control wheel allows for precise control over the temperature so you can customize the tempering process according to different types of chocolates or recipes.
- Easy to clean – The practical design of this machine means that this product is very easy to clean compared to others on the market.
- Large capacity – This 2-tank option can hold a total of 9 pounds per use, making it useful for making both small and large batched as you desire.
- Can produce small batches – You don’t have to use both tanks each time you use the machine – you can opt, instead, to use one if you’re producing a smaller batch.
- Good for creativity – This is the best chocolate tempering machine if you plan on combining different flavors.
- Heavyweight product – Heavy-duty design has its benefits, but it also makes the product quite heavy to move it around your workspace.
- Uses water – There are reports from some users that there is a risk of water and steam splashing onto the chocolate.
- Heat distribution – It’s difficult to control each tank individually when using both plus removing the tanks can be hard without burning yourself.
5. Most Capacity – Hilliard’s Chocolate Tempering Machine
I consider this model from Hilliard to be the best chocolate tempering machine on our list because, although compact, it can melt up to 25lbs of chocolate per day. This is a real powerhouse machine and is ideal for both personal and commercial use. If you need large quantities of a specific chocolate creation, this model can help you meet your target over a day.
Alternatively, if you want to make just a small batch to test out your chocolate tempering ideas, the Hilliard can produce batches as small as 1 1/2 pounds. So it’s both good for experimenting and making huge batches once you are happy with your chocolate inventions.
It’s also great for variety and is particularly good at chocolate coating. With this Hilliard’s product, you can easily coat clusters, nuts, fruits, and creams.
No time is wasted cleaning when using Hilliard’s Chocolate Tempering Machine, with minimal parts and its stainless steel build, cleaning in between batches is quick and easy. Its simple, cuboid build ensures that you can slot it into any corner of your kitchen or workshop, and its weight of 45lbs ensures that you can move it around easily.
If you want to expand the capabilities of your chocolate tempering production line, you can invest in other Hilliard products, such as the G.M.S. Decorator, Topping Machine, and Chocolate Cooling Cabinet, each of which are compatible with the Tempering Machine.
However, I think that although the Hilliard’s quality and performance features justify it over time, it might be a bit too expensive if all you need is a more economical chocolate tempering machine with a large capacity. You can substitute it for the ChocoVision Revolation Delta with a capacity to produce 17 pounds of tempered chocolate, at almost half the price of the Hilliard’s.
- Big turnover – If you want to temper daily on an industrial scale, Hilliard’s Chocolate Tempering Machine can do that.
- Coating capabilities – This is one of the best chocolate machines in our review because it can coat pretty much any filling – nuts, clusters, fruits you name it.
- Compact – Considering that this machine can produce 25lbs of tempered chocolate per day, it takes up surprisingly little space in your kitchen.
- Adaptable – Hilliard has a wide range of additional products that can be used alongside the tempering machine.
- Expensive – For such a high-quality chocolate tempering machine, you can expect to pay a high price.
6. Best for Advanced Users – ALDKitchen Double Chocolate Melting Pot
Depending on your needs, you may be considering investing in a chocolate tempering machine that can cater to large chocolate quantities. If this is the case, I would highly recommend checking out the ALDKitchen Double Chocolate Melting Pot machine.
This commercial-friendly model offers 4.5 lbs melting capacity, which is perfect for budding chocolatiers. It can also be customized for a smaller design thanks to its removable melting pots.
The manual temperature adjustment knob is best suited to professionals, or those of you with experience in chocolate melting processes.
However, the manual system makes it hard to know which temperature to use for milk, white and dark chocolate so, for newbies I’d suggest using an automated system similar to that of the NutriChef Chocolate Warming Fondue Set whose preset settings will enable you to temper your chocolate within minutes.
Unlike most of the products on this list, the ALDKitchen chocolate melting pot considers energy usage. The melter uses a 1KW power cord and each melting pot can be switched off to save energy when not in use.
Overall, this large quantity chocolate tempering machine is a pretty impressive offering, especially for those in a commercial kitchen. It could be improved with an automatic temperature control system as beginners may struggle to get to grips with the manual knob.
- Energy-saving design – Its economical and eco-friendly operation sets it apart from many other machines in our list as it uses minimal power without sacrificing on performance.
- Comes with two-removable bowls – Perfect for batch melting and tempering which allows you to cater for large quantities of chocolate in a more efficient manner.
- Compact design – It can be used as a portable device if you need to go on the road for events, catering, workshops and the like.
- Industrial aesthetics – Not the best-looking device for a home kitchen.
7. Easiest Chocolate Melting Machine to Use – NutriChef Chocolate Warming Fondue Set
When it comes to chocolate tempering, beginners may struggle to find a tempering machine that is suited to them. The NutriChef Chocolate Warming Fondue Set is a perfect tempering set for beginners and offers you a way to temper chocolate in minutes!
Perhaps one of this product’s standout features is its combination of fondue and tempering functionality. Beginners don’t need the features that advanced chocolatiers will, which is why this machine offers the perfect balance of fondue and tempering.
Its small size lends itself well to smaller kitchens and personal use. However, as it’s not as technically complete as a few other options on this list such as the Huanyu Commercial, it may not be the best option for commercial chocolate tempering.
The temperature control system featured on this fondue maker is fairly simplistic but should be enough for beginners to temper chocolate. It offers 2 set modes, a 109 °F warming mode and a 140 °F melting mode.
In terms of accessories, the NutriChef Chocolate Warming Fondue Set comes with a superb selection of extra goodies. With your purchase, alongside the machine, you will receive a range of molds and cooking utensils – but not all of them will help when it comes to tempering!
For beginners, few chocolate tempering machines on our list will offer accessibility quite like this – not even the portable and budget-friendly Dyna-Living Chocolate Melting Pot. However, it may not be suited to professional use, but that’s not what it’s designed for. If you’re looking for your first chocolate tempering machine, this is the choice for you!
- Powerful – The machine has a high powered heating element which ensures quick and efficient tempering to save on time and energy bills.
- High-quality materials – I love that it is constructed from PET food-grade safe aluminum that I can trust won’t contaminate the purity of my ingredients.
- Small and lightweight – You will be thrilled by the device’s compact design
- Small capacity – Keeping the device compact means melting capacity has been sacrificed. While it’s perfect for certain scenarios, users who desire large-scale tempering might find this tradeoff to be limiting especially when you compare it to models like Hilliard’s
8. Best Portable – Dyna-Living Chocolate Melting Pot
Portability can be an excellent feature for chocolate tempering, especially for party or delivery services. The Dyna-Living Chocolate Melting Pot offers portability without sacrificing functionality.
As this machine is designed with portability, it sacrifices some capacity. Its 2.2 pounds capacity is the second lowest in our list (only the NutriChef Chocolate Warming ranks lower), yet this shouldn’t be an issue for smaller commercial services. Still, it may be a letdown if you are looking to craft large batches of tempered chocolate.
In terms of heating efficiency, the Dyna-Living Chocolate Melting Pot has one of the fastest heating elements on our list. It means you won’t need to wait long to melt your chocolate. The less time needed, the lower your machine’s energy usage, which can save you a large amount of money in the long run.
You can expect this product to last you a while as Dyna-Living has used the highest quality stainless steel materials. This also provides an easy-to-clean surface, which anyone who has used melted chocolate before will be able to appreciate.
Portability is rarely considered in the world of chocolate tempering, which is why the Dyna-Living Chocolate Melting Pot is such a standout product. Anyone who operates a remote tempering service should add this to their shopping cart today!
- Affordable – The Dyna-Living Chocolate Melting Pot is one of the cheapest machines on our list, perfect for anyone working on a budget.
- Efficient – Its unique heating method is super energy-efficient and makes it a sustainable choice.
- Can melt a range of foods – Cheese, candy, chocolate and more are all within the melting range of this device.
- Very simple – While this product is one of the most energy-efficient out there, some people will be looking for more features on their tempering device
9. Best Child-Friendly – VonShef Electric Fondue Pot
Introducing your child to the world of chocolate tempering can be a great way to get them into cooking at a young age. The VonShef Electric Fondue Pot is the perfect machine for showing your children the wonders of chocolate tempering.
High temperatures are the biggest worry when it comes to tempering chocolate with a young child. Thankfully, the VonShef Fondue Pot makes use of heat-resistant handles to lower the chances of nasty accidents.
The smaller capacity is also suitable for younger children, especially when it comes to interactive birthday parties – Just be sure to supervise any children when they use this fondue pot.
Unlike the industrial aesthetics of the ChocoVision machine, the VonShef Fondue Pot won’t look out of place in any kitchen design. The neutral red color is aesthetically pleasing and is surprisingly resistant to stains caused by melted chocolate.
There are very few child-friendly tempering devices available on the market and the VonShef is the only one of its kind on our list. It is not only extremely child-friendly, it is also an excellent device when compared to its premium-style competitors such as the Huanyu Commercial Tempering machine!
- Great for families – The VonShef is affordable and child-friendly and is good fun with the family.
- Decent capacity – For a small device, you can fit quite a lot of chocolate inside.
- Heat resistant handles – Easy to carry around the kitchen, or around parties and ensures the safety of everyone, especially young family members!
- No temperature gauge – One major drawback of the VonShef Fondue Pot is the lack of an accurate gauge which can make tempering a little difficult.
Before you dive into purchasing the first chocolate tempering machine you find, you will want to know exactly what features to look out for. As there are thousands of tempering machines on the market it can be hard to tell which is better than another.
I have crafted this buyer’s guide to help you discover what your chosen tempering machine should include, and what you could probably skip to save yourself some cash!
|Cuisinart CFO-3SS Electric
|Nostalgia FPS200 Electric
|ChocoVision Revolation Delta
|Huanyu Commercial Tempering Machine
|Hilliard’s Chocolate Tempering Machine
|ALDKitchen Double Chocolate Melting Pot
|NutriChef Chocolate Warming
|Dyna-Living Chocolate Melting Pot
|Cast Iron Steel
Types of Chocolate Melting Machines
There are a few different machine types in the world of chocolate tempering. Each one offers unique positives and negatives, so it’s always worth comparing the different models before you settle on one. The main types include:
- Melting point: One of the most popular types of chocolate tempering machines on the market is the melting pot design. These melting point machines, such as the Huanyu Commercial Tempering offer a double boiler seated in a handy chamber that will allow you to melt chocolate with ease.
- Fondue maker: Another common type of machine you will come across is a fondue maker. Although this is slightly different from your usual chocolate tempering machine it will offer everything you need for chocolate melting and tempering. The Nostalgia FPS200, NutriChef and Cuisinart CFO-3SS Electric are all splendid fondue makers that’ll have you temper your chocolate in no time.
You will also need to consider whether you choose a manual or semi-automatic machine.
- Manual: These will offer you greater levels of control but will require slightly more effort than an automatic system. The ALDKitchen Double Chocolate Melting Pot machine for instance features manual temperature adjusting knobs that are best suited for professionals who know their way around chocolate melting.
- Semi-automatic: Generally, I would recommend a semi-automatic melting pot-style machine such as the ChocoVision Revolation Delta, over a traditional fondue maker. This is due to the fact that melting pot machines are designed solely with tempered chocolate in mind.
Types of Chocolate Melting Machines
|Cuisinart CFO-3SS Electric
|Nostalgia FPS200 Electric
|ChocoVision Revolation Delta
|Huanyu Commercial Tempering Machine
|Hilliard’s Chocolate Tempering Machine
|ALDKitchen Double Chocolate Melting Pot
|NutriChef Chocolate Warming
|Dyna-Living Chocolate Melting Pot
At the end of the day, the best machine type is the one that you can afford. All types of chocolate tempering machines will offer you the means to create tempered chocolate so it will truly come down to budget and personal preference!
The capacity of your chocolate tempering machine will largely depend on whether it’s for personal or business use.
Most chocolate tempering businesses will want to invest in a large capacity machine like the Hilliard’s. As they will be tempering chocolate on a larger scale, they will be able to make use of greater capacity, which can save time in the long run!
On the other hand, personal users shouldn’t spend too much just for a larger capacity. Most low to mid-capacity machines should be more than suited for personal use.
The highest capacity is the Hilliard commercial machine at 25lbs of chocolate. That’s honestly way more than you’d ever actually need for home-use.
I’d recommend going with the Nostalgia FPS. 3lbs which has a great capacity for home use and small parties. You can always add more chocolate along the way to keep it full for your guests.
You will also need to consider the space you have in your kitchen or tempering area. A machine with a larger capacity will take up more space which may not be a good idea if you are operating with limited space.
Perhaps the most important consideration you will need to make for any purchase is its price. It can be tempting to spend more on a better model like the ChocoVision Revolation Delta with an eye-watering price tag of US$3,000.00, but if it’s outside your budget you may be spending more than you need to. Ideally, before you start shopping for a chocolate tempering device it’s worth setting yourself a budget. Consider the features you truly need as you may be able to save yourself some money by opting for a cheaper less-feature packed model.
The best value purchase is our #2 pick, the Nostalgia FPS. It’s one of the most affordable chocolate melting machines on my list and is super highly rated.
My #1 pick is only slightly more expensive so if price isn’t your main concern, I’d recommend going with the Cuisinart CFO-3SS Electric Fondue Maker.
As long as you take the time to compare options, you should be able to find the best chocolate tempering machine for your needs!
There are a few different features you will require if you are planning to temper chocolate. Most of the best chocolate tempering machines will offer everything you need, however, there are a few specific features you will want to look out for.
Perhaps the most important feature when it comes to tempering is a melting pot. Melted chocolate is needed to create tempered chocolate, so you will want your machine to feature a double boiler (bain-marie) feature to melt your chosen type of chocolate.
There are a few bonus features worth checking out, especially if you have a little room to move in your budget. The ability to save chocolate recipes can be extremely handy and a removable mixing bowl is worth the extra asking cost. The ALDKitchen Double Chocolate Melting Pot machine has two-removable bowls ideal for tempering and melting.
Melting chocolate can get pretty messy very quickly, which means you will need to constantly clean your tempering machine. There are a few things you should consider when comparing machine models when it comes to ease of cleaning.
The material used when crafting your machine will have the biggest impact when it comes to cleanliness. Ideally, stainless steel machines tend to be the easiest to keep clean and are best for avoiding mess.
You may also want to check out a few models that feature removable parts. The ability to remove a particular section of your chocolate machine will greatly help you out when it comes to cleaning.
Wiping melted chocolate from your machine shouldn’t be too much of a headache no matter what type of tempering machine you choose from our list.
Tempering can be extremely technical as certain types of chocolate will need to reach a very specific temperature. This means you will want to invest in a chocolate tempering machine with a decent temperature control system.
The ChocoVision Revolation Delta has precise temperature controls that allow you to set and maintain the exact temperature for the different types of chocolate you are preparing for up to 18 hours.
There are two main types of temperature control on most chocolate melting machines, a digital control system, and a temperature control knob. Most modern options will offer a digital system as it offers you finer control over the temperature of your machine.
As the temperature of your machine will largely impact the quality of your chocolate tempering, I would suggest spending a little more on a better temperature system.
Build quality is a measurement of the quality of your machine, such as its durability and how long you can expect it to last. Typically, a pricier chocolate tempering machine will feature a better build quality, but this isn’t always the case.
For example, the Cuisinart CFO-3SS Electric Fondue Maker despite being on the cheaper end of our list, receives a lot of accolades from users for its outstanding durable build quality that can withstand regular usage over a long time.
It can be hard to know the quality of a specific machine’s build as there is no set measurement. The best way to check the build quality of your chosen chocolate tempering device is to read a couple of customer reviews.
Reviews are a fantastic way to get an insight into the performance of a machine and its durability – especially if you can’t test it yourself!
I would always recommend spending a little more on a machine that features a decent build quality. A higher up-front cost is always better than needing to buy multiple machines because the cheaper one broke after a couple of months.
Depending on your preferences, you may want to invest in a machine that matches your kitchen’s decor. Although this won’t have an impact on the functionality of your chocolate tempering tool it may be important to you.
There are many types of machine designs out there, so finding one to suit your personal tastes shouldn’t be too difficult.
The two most common styles you will find are retro-inspired machines, that offer a 60s aesthetic or a sleek stainless steel design. Both of these look wonderful alongside any kitchen decor so wouldn’t recommend one over the other.
My favorite pick is the VonShef Fondue Pot because its neutral red hue melts into any kitchen design and it’s also resistant to melted chocolate stains.
As long as your machine’s aesthetic matches your style and doesn’t cost a fortune, it’s worth paying a little more for a machine you like the look of!
How to Use a Chocolate Tempering Machine
If you are dealing with large amounts of chocolate most of the time, it can be very tedious to melt down chocolate each time you want to use it. Furthermore, the fact that it will solidify again after a short while means that chocolate melting is a very time-sensitive process. Here is where a chocolate tempering machine comes into play.
A chocolate tempering machine is an appliance used to melt, de-crystalize, and crystalize chocolate to a desired hard and finished product. Raw chocolate used in making various confectionaries must be tempered to make it crisp and smooth. Otherwise, without tempering, the raw chocolate takes on a dull, unappealing, and uneven color lined with gray.
Operating a chocolate melting machine is pretty straightforward.
Start by figuring out the type of chocolate melting machine you have. If it uses the bain-marie principle, fill the machine with water. If it uses induction heating, you can skip this step.
Plug in the machine and set it to the appropriate temperature. Turn the thermostat up to 122-131 degrees Fahrenheit for dark chocolate, then lower the thermostat to 113-122 degrees Fahrenheit for milk and white chocolate.
Add the chocolate into the machine at ambient temperature (64-68 degrees Fahrenheit). If you have chocolate blocks, break them into smaller pieces to facilitate faster melting. Chocolate coins can be added to the machine without chopping them.
Close the lid and allow the chocolate to melt overnight. The appliance mixes the stable chocolate crystals uniformly and thoroughly.
Once the chocolate has melted the next day, stir it vigorously to ensure no lumps in the mixture. To ensure the chocolate is ready for use, bring it to a stable working temperature. Dark chocolate should reach 87-89 degrees Fahrenheit, milk chocolate (86-87 degrees Fahrenheit), and white chocolate (84-86 degrees Fahrenheit).
That’s it; your chocolate should now be smooth, a little thicker, and ready for use. If you are tempering couverture chocolate, we suggest you first temper it before molding, coating, or dipping it.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Does a Chocolate Tempering Machine Work?
First, a tempering machine will heat the chocolate to an exact temperature, depending on the type of chocolate you are trying to temper. Once this temperature has been reached, the chocolate will consistently be cooled and reheated until it has been successfully tempered!
What’s the Best Machine Type for Tempering Chocolate?
The best type of machine for creating tempered chocolate is a semi-automatic melting pot-style machine. These offer a double boiler function that can quickly melt chocolate and provide the perfect temperatures for chocolate tempering.
How Long Does It Take To Temper Chocolate?
This depends on how much chocolate you are tempering, how long it takes to melt the chocolate, and the type of chocolate you use. On average, the chocolate tempering process shouldn’t take much longer than 5 to 15 minutes.
Final Verdict: Which Chocolate Tempering Machine is Right for You?
The best chocolate tempering machine, in my opinion, is the Cuisinart CFO-3SS. It’s the most popular on Amazon with an average of 5 stars and is fairly affordable compared to some of the heavy-duty machines. If you’re on a tighter budget, go with the Nostalgia FPS200.
If you want to get another gadget to really ramp up your kitchen abilities, check out my list of the best breadmakers for sourdough!
Richmond Howard started Meal Prepify in 2019 and has helped over a million people learn how to meal prep, get better at meal planning, and create a kitchen they love to use. He’s an avid home chef and loves to bbq, grill out, and make awesome food for family and friends. He’s been featured on MSN, Renaissance Periodization, and Good Financial Cents.